Want higher shower pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Barry J

Reaction score
I've got a two part question:
First of all I got a "Watts" regulator on my main line, (25-75psi). I have a "Symmons-Temptrol" shower/bath controler, model "A", and a cheap shower head from ..let's say..Walmart.
First: How can i get more water pressure out of my shower.
Second: Isn't there shower heads on the market that make there own higher pressure??? I kind of like the showerheads that are on hoses, We had one at the house we were at, on vacation and it worked great.
Any suggestions on my questions
Thanks
Barry

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are you on a pump system? If that's a PRV, what's it actually set at? Showerheads are limited by federal regulation to a max of 2.5 gallons/minute. You can sometimes take out a restrictor in the showerhead to get more flow, but it won't make any differece to your incoming pressure. Just like when you put your finger over the end of the hose, it can give the appearance of higher pressure. Some showerheads are better than others, but first, what's your incoming pressure?

Barry J

Reaction score
I do not know what my actual pressure is, but, on the valve itself, it listed as range 25-75psi, set 50 psi. So, I'm thinking that it's 50 psi. The plumber that put it in said that "he has not heard of any pressure problems in my town"

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The number one complaint heard by landlords and plumbers is low pressure in the shower. That is only going to get worse, as some states move from the federal 2.5 GPM, to even lower like 2.2 and 1.5

If your pressure is 50, you would see a slight inprovement in performance if you had it adjusted up to 65.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Not all showerheads are created equal. Some deliver the allowed flow far better than others. May I recommend the Speakman Anystream. The choice of Marriot Hotels for some strange reason.
http://www.speakmancompany.com/products/detail/S-2008-BP

Barry J

Reaction score
How do I go about adjusting the valve????
Also, as for the shower head...is there one out there a little cheaper than $80. But, also with a hose to be handheld also??
Thanks
Barry

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Before you start adjusting, you need to buy a pressure gage. Loosen the locknut on the threaded shaft and (I think) tighten it (i.e., turn it in). You need to open and close a valve to see what the end result of your adjustment is doing and see what's on the gage.

It costs more to engineer a decent showerhead...often, but not always, you get what you pay for.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks