Faucet Handles will not come off

Users who are viewing this thread

tjones

Reaction score
I am replacing the vinyl shower walls in our second bathroom and I can not seem to get the fixture handles, hot or cold, to even budge. There are screws on each end of the knobs. I have removed these 2 screws, thinking they were just set screws, and the handles will not budge. There are 2 sleeves beneath each handle that appear to screw on and off, I am assuming this is just to create a flush mount with the wall.

Is there something I am missing here. I can not find any type of allen screws that are holding these into place? The shower is pretty old so are they just rusted/corroded so bad that they wont budge? Is there any secret to removing these? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If needed I can take some pictures of it and post them.

****EDIT****
I am attaching some pictures of the knobs.
****EDIT****

Attachments

• P1010107 (Small).JPG
    P1010107 (Small).JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,513
  • P1010108 (Small).JPG
    P1010108 (Small).JPG
    34 KB · Views: 1,534
  • P1010109 (Small).JPG
    P1010109 (Small).JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,444
Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I see you have removed the screw. At this point they are just stuck, not unusual for an old unit. You can spray some white vinegar into the hole to try to loosen up the calcium. You can try to rock the handles gently, but try not to damage the handle or stem. Ultimately, you may need to purchase an inexpensive handle puller for leverage.

tjones

Reaction score
Well the vinegar did not work. So I will have to get a puller, will this be available at any home improvement store?

Thanks for your help.

melissam

Reaction score
Did you get those handles off? If so, what did the trick? I'm faced with the same problem. I'm trying the vinegar solution tonight.

thegoldenhand

Reaction score
I'd try using WD40 if the vinegar thing doesnt work. Also you can try to pinch the hole where you had the screw using a small flat head screw driver and try to loosen the handle from the stem. I forgot to add that I always had this problem when removing a mixet shower's handles.

k01b01

Reaction score
Hey, It works. Thanks guys

Today, I have the same problem with Kohler bath tub faucet knob which will not come off. I thought there is something I do not know about plumbing. I can not figure out why until I see the messages here. I used WD40 spray (get from auto or plumbing department) wait for one minute, use screw driver in the screw hole to shake it a little and it comes off like magic. All rusted inside. Now replaced the washer with a new one and the leak stops immediately.

NOW I LEARNED THE FAUCET KNOB "SHOULD" COME OFF EASILY AFTER YOU UNSCREW THE ONLY SCREW ON TOP OF THE KNOB !! THERE IS NO TRICK OR MAGIC. (I knew it should be this way but just not 100% sure, now I am 100% sure). It is so obvious and so easy for professional dealing with it every day but it is quite a puzzle for first timer like me.

That is why I joined this forum because I want to let others with the same problem know how to resolve it.
I LOVE INTERNET !

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks