Something ate my well pump!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Mnworried

Reaction score
Some of you have already seen my question. I am a newby and couldn't figure out how to do this at first. But I would like as much advice on this as I can find. So I decided to post it the right way this time:D
10 years ago, there was a new well, pressure tank, and pump installed here. The pump was Flint & Walling. A few months ago, our pressure tank went, and now our well pump looks like this. (I am going to try to put the pictures on here too). The first thought was that something had eaten through the stainless steel on the pump. So, for the past 2 weeks, we have been advised to NOT use our water to drink, cook or bathe our kids in it until they can figure out what is going on. In the mean time, I have been dealing with labs, pollution control, and the maker of the pump.
Our pH, Nitrates, and bacteria tests all came back GREAT. Now they want us to test for chromium and lead. We decided to do a different test which also includes other metals and solvents, because the next step was more metals. We will not receive the results until the first part of September!!
So, I am looking to all of you for some suggestions! Have any of you EVER seen this happen to a pump before?
I have had a few responses from some of you, and you have been AWESOME!! :cool: Anybody else want to take a guess at our mystery? If I can't get the photos on here, they are posted under "Blown" on Pumps and Wells Forum (THANK YOU GARY!!)

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
To upload a picture click on the paper clip next to the smiley faces when posting to the thread.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com

Attachments

• HPIM1357.JPG
    HPIM1357.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 338
  • HPIM1358.JPG
    HPIM1358.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 334
  • HPIM1359.JPG
    HPIM1359.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 326
  • HPIM1360.JPG
    HPIM1360.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 357
  • HPIM1361.JPG
    HPIM1361.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 329

mpyrol

Reaction score
I saw two pumps yesterday that had what looked like the beginnings of that type of corrosion. I only remember thinking that I wouldn't want all that crap in my drinking water. I didn't put then in my hands, I just observed them in the back of the truck as he was pulling pipe apart. They were swollen on top of the motor, the guy said it was from lightning. I really don't see how lightning could travel 100 ft down a deep well when it has a good path to the concrete but.... My pump busted friday and the service guy was out today. I assume they bust and create a circuit somehow. He said they will swell so large they cannot be removed from the well.

Brian

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I have talked to worried, and I also believe it is aluminum. I had a lot of Franklin motors with the ends pouched out, in about 1990. They made an aluminum end bell under the Stainless end caps. They looked just like these pictures except, the corrosion was on the motor pushing off the end caps.

Mnworried

Reaction score
So how do I find out if the metal is actually aluminum? We were told it was stainless steel, but by the sounds of it, a lot of you believe it is aluminum.
Another question, is there SUPPOSED to be aluminum in well pumps? This is a 1997 model.
We are not by an ocean, we live in Minnesota.
The white stuff on the pump is from the slim like bacteria that was on it and has dried, but should NOT be harmful.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I say it aluminum or some similar metal and the stuff is from electrolysis or dissimilar metals corrosion.

Lisa, you didn't mention any slime to me.... possibly, and probably, there is a type of bacteria that eats aluminum like IRB, SRB and MRB eat iron, sulfates and manganese. They are harmless.

Lightening goes wherever it can and as far as it can and especially to a pump in water in a well; which is an excellent ground.

Mnworried

Reaction score
Below you will find what the tech guy at Flint & Walling replied after viewing the pictures. Keep in mind that I gave the make and model number off the pump from the VERY beginning, and he NEVER said anything like this. I even told him the pump was 10 years old, and made of stainless steel (which is WRONG!) So, the water tests should all come back perfect!(and our pockets a bit more empty!) Anyway, I am very grateful to all of you who took time and offered some advice!! What a blessing you all have been!

Lisa,
the photo's that you sent shed a light on your situation, and you can relax, there is nothing harmful in the water in your well. We haven't seen that type of corrosion in many years, it's from a pump we no longer produce called a "magnalloy" pump that after years of service deteriorated in just the manner your photo's depicted, due to electrolysis. You simply need to replace the pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks