Magnet Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
I lost my eyeglasses.

Please read about my experience with magnets...

The glasses are in a pond that is about 12' deep, murky, and a no-swimming public pond.

I thought I could put a magnet on a pole and get them.

I went to the hardware and tried to pick up a pair of glasses with the magnets that are used to pick up nails, it won't attract or stick to the glasses at all.

But, the small telescoping magnet rods that are sold at auto stores will hold the glasses, but it isn't a very strong connection, I tried putting three together and using them on someone elses glasses, but it won't create a stronger connection. The connection is too weak to actually pull them up through the water.

Is there a larger form of these magnet rods that might work or does anyone know what kind of magnets these are? Or what kind of magnet could work?

Thanks for any replys,

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The frames may not be very magnetic. Titanium and many stainless steels are not magnetic.

If you get them to come up on a magnet then grab them before they leave the water by using a landing net.

Molo

Reaction score
The "mystery" is why the small magnet on the telescoping tools at the auto parts store will hold on (lightly) and the big magnets won't.

Are these different kinds of magnets? If only I could find the magnet that is on the end of the little telescoping tool that was a bit stronger, any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Rare earth magnets are the strongest. It could be just where you put the magnet on the glasses...the screws are likely steel as are the springs, if it has spring loaded bows.

Cookie

Reaction score
You know someone will fish those babies out, right, lol. I once reeled in someone else's fishing rod. Maybe, try putting a hook on the end. Just curious, how did they get there ?

Cookie

Reaction score
I was afraid to say the rest of reeling in the fishing rod because I was afraid no one would believe me, but, what the heck! I will tell you, it is only a few people reading this, lol, on the end of the line was a fish. I was so excited, that is until, I saw a snake was holding onto the fish. I threw it down I gather just like the person before me. My husband ran over to see what all the noise was about, ( me screaming) and he pulled back out the fishing rod and here came the fish, a snake and an old boot. lol. I guess, when I threw it back in, it picked up a boot. Needless to say, I was laughing uncontrollably. Now, if you think this is one of those fish stories you are very mistaken. This happened. So, Molo, you could have some fun fishing out your glasses. Who knows, maybe you will pull out a fish wearing them, lol.

Molo

Reaction score
That's a crazy story Cookie, I do believe you, sometimes fact is stranger than fiction.

Rare earth Magnet, huh, I wonder where I could find a strong rare earth magnet on a Sunday?

Thanks for any replys,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks