Four DWV Venting Layout questions

Users who are viewing this thread

JCH

Reaction score
A previous owner developed the attic in our house in 1994. This included adding a bathroom up there (clawfoot tub, lav, toilet).

We want to replace the tub with a custom shower (center drain). The clawfoot tub is alongside an exterior wall (which makes venting tricky).

I've been reading lots about this and was hoping to get a final opinion from you folks before I pull a permit.

Here is a layout of the current DWV plumbing layout for that bathroom:
http://homepage.mac.com/bellacoola/filechute/2008.08.07.JCh.CurrentPlumbing.jpg

Questions:
1) If I move the Bathtub drain 25" to make it a center drain for a shower, I know I should make it 2" pipe (rather than the current 1-1/2"). Can I continue to use the Lav as a wet vent if I run this 2" pipe parallel to the existing 1-1/2" and tie-in via a Wye 18" downstream of where it currently connects? Or do I need to figure out how to separately vent this drain arm?

2) The toilet clogs *much* easier than the identical model in our other bathroom (both are Toto Ultramax's). Would changing the 90 under the closet flange to a long-sweep 90 (from what appears to currently be a vent 90) improve things? If so, would the loss of headroom/slope be a problem? (Currently the 3" waste is 60" long in a 2x10 joist bay, so currently a 7" drop over 60")

3) Currently when you drain the bathtub, it drains in a hurry (!). Problem is, it also sucks about 1" of water out of the toilet bowl. Do I need to install a separate vent upstream of where the 2" Lav/Shower line joins the WC line? If so, can the vent be a horizontally-installed wye? (very little headroom)

4) There are a whole bunch of 45s (four of them) plus a long-sweep 90 as the 3" pipe winds its way through the joist cavities before it finally heads down to the basement. Do I need a relief vent here? Or is 3" pipe big enough to self-vent?

Really appreciate any help you could offer :)

.../j

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
1) Yes ... continue to use the Lav as a wet vent ...
2) I don't know what to do here
3) No ...Do I need to install a separate vent upstream of where the 2" Lav/Shower line joins the WC line? ...
4) No ...Do I need a relief vent here? ...

Based on what (I think) plumbing code is in BC.

David

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks