Vapor barrier under carpet pad

Users who are viewing this thread

bmw220

Reaction score
Is it a good idea to lay down a sheet of plastic (polyethylene) under the carpet pad when installing carpet on basement concrete floor? The pad I am getting has vapor barrier between the carpet and pad.

Another possibility is to coat the floor with drylock. I am incliened towards the plastic sheet because of less labor, but if it turns out that sheet is not a good idea, I will use drylock.

Thanks!

D.Smith

Reaction score
I would advise against any type of pad/vapor pad in a bsmt situation. Its a given fact that all bsmts below grade will get wet. By placing a pad/vapor pad under the carpet will contribute to larger cost in restoring.

If your inclined to pad your basment drylock the cement. Leave the pad with the vapor barrior for a pet situation. If you have moisture under the vapor barrior wouldnt you want to know about it? Not only will it keep water from soaking into the pad it will keep water from coming into the carpet.

IMHO Dryloc and carpet glue down.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks