(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Combining shower, tub, and toilet drains...

Default Combining shower, tub, and toilet drains...

Hello... been browsing here a long time but first post. I have layed out a bathroom remodel. The tub has been moved and a shower added and I can't access the original tub drain. I can however access the 3" drain from the toilet, and want to confirm my layout will work.

The drains from the tub (1 1/2") and shower (2") will come together after several feet and continue in a 2" pipe until coming into the 3" sewer line about 6' downstream from the toilet. Each fixture has it's own vent at the fixture after the traps. Everything has a proper downward slope.

My main concern is the toilet being upstream in this layout. Am I OK as long as everything has it's own vent?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default drains

What you have drawn looks acceptable, but that does not mean that the way you finally install it will be. There can be many slips between a good drawing and a good installation.

You've drawn sanitary tees in which would be better replaced by wye fittings.

The union at the shower/tub junction is a long-turn wye, as well as the union into the 3" drain from the toilet.

I appreciate the responses, btw...

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    What you have drawn looks acceptable, but that does not mean that the way you finally install it will be. There can be many slips between a good drawing and a good installation.

I am certainly not a professional plumber, but have had many successful installations/modifications in the past. I just like to check with the pros to make sure I at least start with a good drawing