Exterior tile and grout failing.

Users who are viewing this thread

midge

Reaction score
Last summer I had a licensed contractor install exterior grade quarry tile on my covered sunporch. The grout is in one area of the floor has developed multiple cracks and 4 tiles in a row have a hairline crack.

What are possible causes?

I paid big money to have this installed professionally to avoid this very problem.

AZ Contractor

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like your porch floor is too weak and flexing too much.

Unfortunately, they should have told you that the deck was too weak as a professional but they technically don't have to.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To solve this, we'd need to know how the porch floor is constructed; is it wood, concrete slab, up on piers. Also, the structure could be fine, but if they did not install properly, that can cause problems - expansion joints are required, depending on sun exposure, size of the installation, and proper grouting to allow for expansion (there should be a gap against, for example, the house).

If they used cbu on top of a wooden subfloor, did they tape the seams, did they install the proper fasteners, did they install the cbu in a bed of thinset?

Normally, cracked tiles are the result of either improper structure (moves too much), or incomplete coverage of thinset, which therefore can't support the tile properly from point loads.

Also, you didn't mention if this was in an area that sees freezing temperatures. Improper slope so there is standing water (even though it is covered, it's not uncommon to get wet) during a freeze cycle could severely impact integrity.

A tile that can absorb moisture, will likely fracture during a freeze cycle, so drainage and proper installation is essential. Outside, people often find that a good quality porcelain stone look tile survives longer since it can't absorb much moisture (typically much less than 1%).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks