Minor weeping leaks - are those OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

alexgav

Reaction score
I am installing a new sprinkler system (my first) using 1" poly (200 PSI). Since the barb fittings are pretty much impossible to get in without warming up the pipe a little, I used a heat gun to warm up the pipe. Unfortunately, I overused it in a few spots and got some leaks from melted plastic fittings (I heated the pipe to the point it melted the fittings I inserted).

I fixed all the major leaks, but I still have a few fittings with very minor weeping leaks. I can feel some water accumulation if I put my finger under the fitting, but the water is not running and is not even dripping. Are those OK to just leave alone, or shoule I repair all of them?

I do use double clamps (screw kind) on each side of each fitting. If tightening those stops the leaks, is it good enough? I was under impression that those are mostly "insurance", and the barb fitting shouldn't really lean even without clamps tightened. Is that right or am I being unrealistic here?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
Where did you find 200 PSI Poly roll pipe?

Most lateral (zone pipe) is only rated to 80 PSI. If you are really using 200 PSI pipe, I would see why you would have trouble with the fittings.

If done properly, you should only wave the torch or heat gun quickly back and forth on the outside of the pipe and try to avoid pointing at the edges.

To answer your question, weeping leaks are ok on a zone pipe, that is only on for a few hours a week, but NOT ok for the main lines or the valve manifolds.

Maybe the problem is your clamps. What kind of clamps are you using? I assume screw type. There are a lot of cheap screw clamps out there that blow out when you try to tighten them.....

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
200 psi poly is difficult to work with, and pro installers use 100 psi (used to be 80 psi with the older resins) poly for their zone piping, and have an easier time clamping it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks