Changing galvenized piping to copper or pvc

Users who are viewing this thread

luvzluv

Reaction score
I am new to this forum, so I would like to start by saying hello to everyone.

I just moved into an older home (built 1982) and have found that my plumbing is all galvenized pipes. Most of my neighbors over the years have had to patch up leaks. I was wondering if it might be a good idea to look into copper piping and have the entire plumbing replaced. My house is about 1900 sq.ft.

Is this realistic?

I also wanted to know if it was something I could do in increments. For example, start by replacing all the visible horizontal galvenized pipe with copper or pvc and then slowly work toward the vertical pipes.

Thanks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
PVC is for outside use only. Copper is your best bet as long as the PH is not under 6.5. It could be done piece meal as you describe, but it would cost more in the long run because of all the connections that would have to be made, then redone. Galvanized pipe has a life expectance of about 40 years, but it will be corroded badly long before that. My advice is to contact a plumbing contractor and get an on-site evaluation and go from there. Cost will depend on your local plumbing rates, access to pipes, etc.. It's not a DIY job.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Hi. Since PVC isn't used in the house, I suggest looking into the use of PEX. It can be run in homeruns to each fixture like Romex. That makes for the use of smaller ID and no fittings except one on each end of the run but... it also means fishing instead of tearing wall apart.

And if you look into water quality issues, plastics don't add metal to the water run through them as copper can/does. Nor is there anything in water that can harm plastics, again unlike copper or other metal water line materials. So if water quality is important, then IMO I say go with PEX or CPVC and you'll save time, money and effort.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks