Waterproof under sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mntentman

Reaction score
This isn't really a plumbing question, I guess, but didn't know where to post.

Anyway, I have just repaired a leaking drain in the kitchen sink, and the composite wood floor in the cabinet under the sink soaked up a fair amount of water. I was wondering is there is something I can use to treat it so the water would bead instead of soak in. (I had shelf paper in there, but it ran to the side and under it.) Any advice> Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In a lot of rental properties that I worked regularly on, I would caulk all the sides and backs at the bottom, and coat the bottom of the cabinet with a clear spar varnish. I preferred to do this, than come back sooner or later to find the particle board cabinet bottom swelled up like a baloon!@

Cookie

Reaction score
If the leak is fixed I wonder why you are worried. But, I used Rain-X on the bottom, but, I only used a very small amount. Really, just a dobber on a paper towel. I wouldn't use any of the Nanotechnology products because of the possible contents/ I wouldn't use them indoors.

Last edited:

Mntentman

Reaction score
I'm not worried, just think it is a good idea if it leaks again ever.

What rain-x product are you talking about?

Thanks!

Cookie

Reaction score
I just used a regular Rain X, I was careful to use only a small amount, I wasn't sure what it would do, like mar the finish of the wood, or be harmful, but, it seems ok to me. It beads up the water if it leaks. The varnish would probably be better, I bet. But, I just had it sitting in the garage and thought I would try it. I also keep a small bucket under the sink, under the plumbing, and this way too, it is convienent for needing a bucket in the kitchen for cleaning; and just incase it leaks, the bucket is there to catch it. Instead of a contact paper or shelf paper, you could lay down a piece of vinyl flooring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks