Pressure problems too! After water heater install...

Users who are viewing this thread

dkellerd

Reaction score
So I had a brand new water heater installed by a plumber after my last one died. After he installed my new water heater, the bathtub had no water pressure. He came back the next day and said some rust or sediment had probably gotten pushed through and was stuck somewhere causing my low/no water pressure. Then they just said it was a big job and it's gonna be painful and expensive to fix it. SO...

I'd like to be able to wash the shampoo out of my hair again. I have a dual handle bathtub and all my pipes are galvanized. Can someone help me track down where this clog may be? Once, he took out both bathtub handles and let some water shoot through them...some rust came out and the pressure was good again. But now the pressure is bad again and I don't know how to take off my bathtub handles. Help?

dkellerd

Reaction score
So is this something I shouldn't tackle myself? What could this cost me from a plumber?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any time you turn off the water or do any work on the system, it can dislodge some gunk. You may have to clean out the line again. The real long-term fix is replace the galvanized pipe. Eventually, it fails but in the interim, it rusts on the inside. Rust scale is bigger than elemental iron, so the pipe gets smaller and smaller on the inside until it either falls apart, or any little thing can clog it up. While it is working, the smaller diameter pipe restricts the flow.

What kind of valve is at the shower? Did you watch while he flushed it out? If you're handy, it may be cheaper to buy the tools to do what he did than call him back. Sounds like this is likely to keep happening, but if you're lucky, you can keep going for awhile.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pressure

If the hot, cold, and combined pressures are all the same and do not change as you go from one to the other, and especially when you open both valves, the the problem is AFTER the handles and probably a plugged shower head or a defective/plugged diverter valve. Either of which is a simple and inexpensive repair. If that is the case, erase that plumber's phone number from wherever you have it written down, because he is either incompetent or a rip off artist.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks