which air finish nailer to buy?

Users who are viewing this thread

dabiz7

Reaction score
I have never owned or used any of the pneumatic tools for carpentry, just the air tools that you would use on cars...

I would like to buy an air powered finish nailer, something to use on base and trim molding, crown molding, small furniture use...is there one nailer that can do all of these tasks?

Can you guys tell me what you have had good luck with?

Do you use staples on crown molding or brads?

Has anyone had any success just gluing the corners of crown molding? I guess if the crown is really huge, the weight would be too much, but maybe ok on the smaller cabinet crowns?

Thanks, I love this forum

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you buy a finish nailer make sure that it's the type of nailer that can shoot up to 2" nails. You'll want an 18 gauge nailer not a 16 gauge.

Tom

Baron

Reaction score
Re gluing trim corners...look at Hi-Purformer from Titebond (www.titebond.com). Works well and it's fast.

Which of the Titebond glues to you recommend for trim and 1/4" round?

Also -- how easy is it to remove? Does it damage the drywall when removing trim, etc..?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You probably don't want to glue the trim to the wall! Hi-Purformer is a polyurethane hot-melt glue gun. Quick tack like a hot melt, but it cross-links to provide long term strength. Available in different configurations from 10-second to (I think) 75-second open time and various strengths up to around 1100#/sq in shear strength. It will hold the joints together, especially on something like crown molding.

Baron

Reaction score
You probably don't want to glue the trim to the wall!

My mistake -- thought it might be something to use in lieu of nailing

I'm was just interested in the original post -- since I'm looking for a finish nailer for attaching baseboard and 1/4 round.

I have Ryobi 18V kit which they sell a Brad nailer for it -- but, seems like it is difficult to locate these in stock.

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a Bostich 18 gauge brad nailer which I use for small moldings and tacking things while glue sets. For any actual trim work like door casing, baseboards, and other larger pieces, a 15 or 16 gauge finish nailer is best. I use a bostich angled 15ga and have been very happy with it. The angled versus straight nailers help in getting into tighter spots. The difference in gauges sounds trivial but the lower you go, the more holding power they have.

AZ Contractor

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a Senco, Dewalt and Ridgid 16 g finish nailer. I like the Ridgid the best. Easy to load, adjust dept and I can't remember it ever jambing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks