Ian Gills and his Cadet 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Eudmin

Reaction score
Ian,

Sorry, I'm not getting a Cadet 3. The Drake went in just fine. 10-3/4" Drake install!! The tank screwed down on the bowl nice and snug and actually comes within a hair of touching the back wall. I may have a hopeless condensation problem if that occurs, but I'll deal with that if it happens.

It went in OK because the 4" cast iron flange was actually wider than the 3" exterior of the horn on the bottom of the Drake. I carefully dry fit it on the flange a few times and would offset it so the bolts were in the rear of the mounting slot. Gave me another 1/4" or so and it just worked out. I put two wax rings on the bottom of the Drake and had to shim up one side so I layed down a bead of grout that it can rest on to keep it level. The Drake's horn is level with the bottom of the toilet and the cast iron flange was level with the floor surface, so I just have a half inch or so of wax making the seal, but it should be fine, until it's not, at which time I'll be prepared to replace the flange, scrape off the grout and try to reseat it. 8) It filled last night, flushes fine, and looks good in the spot. My franken-supply hose is working out OK too. It looks really flashy going down the wall like it does.

Sorry you aren't getting another Cadet colleague.

Regards,

Adenwork2

Reaction score
is it possible to put the 10" rough-in tank (4019.016) onto the round front bowl (3011.016) for a really tight space toilet or does that not work? They aren't sold together as a kit, that I can see. Normally the 10" tank seems to come with the elongated bowl so I think I'd have to buy them separately.
Yes.
Those are the exact part numbers for the AS Cadet 3 RF 10" number 2384010 in the catalog. Nominal dimensions 26-1/4" x17-1/4" x28-7/8". See the link for the spec sheet.

Cadet3_2P-RoundFront-6L-RI-FR-10_2384d.jpg

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Yep. I put a Clorox bowl tab cleaner in my tank yesterday and thought I would symbolize the improvement to my Cadet 3 by a change to my avatar.

The parallels can be easily drawn. My Cadet 3 is ready for the big-time now. To put it simply, it goes like stink.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is this the one that puts it down the overflow tube, or one that sits in the tank.
The ones in the tank will eat up rubber washers and flappers and will void warranties.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
Ian,

It took me two trips to HD to get a good bowl. The tank was flawless, and over one year later still has the original flapper (and the Korky replacements are readily available at our new Lowe's should I need one.

Dad and my next door neighbors continue to be satisfied with their Cadet 3's and one of my colleagues recently remodeled one of their two bathrooms, installed a Cadet 3 per my advice and had no quality issues with it (and I have seen it for myself and it is flawless). They love it, and so do their guests who have oood and ahhhed over it. They'll be installing one in their master bath as well.

achutch.. writing from near the spine of the Green Mountains in Vermont

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Ian,

I actually measured for a Cadet 3 here at the cabin (in the woods near two brooks...ahh that sound of rushing water, and we have had nothing but rain this summer), but with the floor the way it is (and there are several issues with it, number one, it is ug-LEE), it can't happen. This place is framed with old barn beams and the raised sill is right behind the toilet and gets in the way of the back of a Cadet 3 by a half inch. Someday that floor will get fixed. Meanwhile, vintage "Standard" toilets (2 of them) are used here, and they do an excellent job of providing relief and comfort and are actually in character with the cabin, which mimics a 1930's vintage state park ranger's cabin ( which of course is painted "State Park Brown"). Yup, you would be seated in style here in the woods!

achutch

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Thanks achutch. I like the way you "measured" for a Cadet 3.

It just goes to show that people don't just go out and buy a Cadet 3 like an ordinary toilet.

You dream for it.

You plan for it.

You save for it.

And perhaps, just perhaps, some day you'll be lucky enough to buy one.

Then you take your time to install it.

And sit there thinking back on what you have accomplished in life.

So an investment like a Cadet 3 should not be rushed. You think carefully about it because you've worked hard for it and you've earned it!

The closest thing I can think of to the care and joy you take in installing and owning a Cadet 3 is building your own AC Cobra.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks