(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ian Gills and his Cadet 3

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Ian Gills and his Cadet 3

I just want everyone to know that Ian Gills has a Cadet 3 with Korky replacement parts.
    He is standing by to talk to you about his Korky replacement parts in his Cadet.
    He loves his Cadet.
    In fact he would love to add that comment to every thread.
    Kind of like sitting in church and saying Cadet whenever the preacher talks about heaven.
    Last edited by Terry; 08-04-2008 at 12:36 PM.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Thanks Terry. My toilet is becoming an obsession. And thanks to all of you who PM me about your Cadet 3s too!

You know who you are
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 08-04-2008 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    You know who you are

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/priv...=newpm&u=14502

Now I have some space, and as a homeowner in more ways than one it would appear, I thought I would post some pictures of my race-tuned Cadet 3.

It all started over 2 years ago when I took a stock 1.6gpf and decided to pimp it up a little.

First, I fitted a Toto softclose lid to smoothen the ride and a new handle. This pic reminds me of why I chose a Cadet 3 in the first place. Note the tight gap I had to work with between the vanity and the bath. Most toilets (tanks) were too wide.
    Name:  standard.JPG
Views: 4278
Size:  75.0 KB

Next a brass-braided pipe and escutcheon. They don't rust like the cheap silver metal ones will if your bathroom gets damp like mine (from long showers). Plus they are a little bling. Yes, I know I should fit a brass nipple and angle stop too.

Name:  pipe.JPG
Views: 2272
Size:  82.9 KB

But of course what really matters is what is under the hood. Out came the stock stuff and in went a Korky Quietfill and a new flapper. These really smooth things up and the Cadet 3 runs really nice with these.
    Name:  lid.JPG
Views: 4664
Size:  70.9 KB

Did someone mention heaven?
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 08-04-2008 at 06:38 PM.

I like it. Now, I want a new handle on mine, too. That looks nice. Good job.

I think you need some decals for that high performance race toilet...

Ian,

That is GORGEOUS, and I approve!

My 80 year old father paged me at work on Saturday, ecstatic over the fact that he just got his water bill, and it dropped $50 because of his new Cadet 3 with the "Right Height" bowl that I installed for him back in January. He is amazed that it uses so little water and hasn't once failed; much better than the 3.5 gallon toilet that he had before.

My next door neighbors love their Cadet 3 round bowl model as well. (They have made reference to it in our condo association newsletter, while strongly urging everyone who still have the original Crane Galaxy toilets to check the tanks for cracks).

Of course as you know, I have one too, in my half bath, and am completely satisfied with its performance.

I have seen the replacement flappers made by Korky and know where to go should I need one. In fact a new Lowe's is being built about 4 miles from where I live and should be ready sometime next year!

Back in June, I was in Lowe's in South Burlington looking for some parts for my next project (a flange repair in my cabin), and a salesman was trying to talk a customer into the Kohler Cimarron, when he got to the Cadet 3's, and said that they were very good, I cut in and said that I had one and could vouch for the fact that it WORKS! The man walked out with 3 of them, in "bone". I guess I know of a good part time job for me when I retire from the "factory" in a few years...

You've done well with your Cadet 3!!

achutch (somewhere on the spine of the Green Mountains in VT)

Default A GT version but not quite track ready...

Thanks achutch. You have really started something here. A good word that you are helping to spread to the world. I have always been inspired by your Cadet 3 stories. You were the first to stand up and be counted.

Redwood: I do not think the Cadet 3 is ready for the big-league sponsorship yet. It's more a sports version, a Cadet 3 GT as I call it.

To go Nascar, I'd need to put something more serious in the tank. Like a Clorox Teflon tab cleaner. But these are no longer readily available, although I am looking.

Ian,

I'm glad you are inspired by my experiences so far with the Cadet 3. Everything I have said is the truth. That goes for the Cadet 3, the Toto Drake, both of which I have in my home and both function to my complete satisfaction, and for my antique "Standard"s which have their place in my summer cabin and are historically correct for the 1930's vintage park ranger's cabin that my place mimics.

More power to you!

achutch

For you Cadet 3 lovers... is it possible to put the 10" rough-in tank (4019.016) onto the round front bowl (3011.016) for a really tight space toilet or does that not work? They aren't sold together as a kit, that I can see. Normally the 10" tank seems to come with the elongated bowl so I think I'd have to buy them separately.

Thanks.

I have no idea Eudmin but that is the kind of thinking we need! Buy them both and experiment! For the common good.

You could then name your creation, perhaps after yourself.

Step forward, the Cadet 3 Eudmin!

But doesn't the rough-in indicate the position of the horn on the bottom of the bowl?
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 08-05-2008 at 02:03 PM.

Yep, it does refer to the bottom of the bowl, but it seems that these Cadet 3 toilets have 3 different tanks with the tank gasket and bolts at 3 different spots which allows you to set the the entire thing either 10, 12, or 14 inches from the wall.

So give up the part numbers for the replacements you put in. You've got an elongated bowl, it appears. Which Toto lid did you put on it and how did you know which would fit? Looks like there's a slow-close American Standard lid as well for round fronts 5330.010 is the part number.

How did the Quietfill improve the flush?

Yep, it does refer to the bottom of the bowl, but it seems that these Cadet 3 toilets have 3 different tanks with the tank gasket and bolts at 3 different spots which allows you to set the the entire thing either 10, 12, or 14 inches from the wall.
    You're good Eudmin. I think you will need to research this for us and come back with an answer.
    .................................................. .................................................. ...............................
    I have a round bowl and I just put an ordinary Toto softclose lid for round bowls on it. A straight fit. The Toto softclose is a love it or hate it lid. I love it because it closes softly. My wife hates it because it looks too plasticy. And some people find it a funny thing to sit on. The hole in the seat is quite small with steep gradients on the sides (which incidentally I like because you get less waste under the seat if someone misfires).

The main advantages with the Quietfill over the Fluidmaster stock fill valve are twofold.

They are both reliable units but:

1) The Quietfill does fill quieter. I like that.

2) The float is enclosed in a case. It could not get obstructed as easily as one on a fluidmaster (say by a flapper that went crazy one day or a badly adjusted flapper chain).

Some say the Quietfill does not close off as harshly so you get less water hammer but I did not notice any difference (I do not get water hammer anywhere in the house anyway).

And another (weak) advantage might be that the fill tube is more robust on the Quietfill.

I hope this helps!

The valve does not improve the flush but it smoothens the fill. The flush is unsurpassed on these things anyway.

Now the Korky flapper, that makes a big difference to the reliability of the flush...
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 08-05-2008 at 02:28 PM.

Did some more research, and I actually did find a part number for the combo of round front bowl and 10" tank. The A/S part number is 2384.010. There are a couple of supply places where you can get a spec sheet that shows the tank I mentioned with the bowl I mentioned. Looks like I couldn't claim originality of the combo. 8)

It will always be the Cadet 3 Eudmin in my book.

The question now, is will you be buying one, fitting it and posting pics?

I'd love to be able to direct very short people that live in small houses asking advice on this forum for a very small toilet to go buy a Eudmin!

Will this be endowed with a four foot supply line per your other post?
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 08-06-2008 at 08:05 AM.