(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Whole House Humidifier

Default Whole House Humidifier

I have a General Humidifier on my forced air furnace. The water supply comes for a saddle valve from a near by water line. the saddle valve is probably 8 years old and i know these things reduce flow over time.

I pulled the supply out of the top of the humidifier unit while it was running(silinoid engaged) and the water drips instead of running out of the supply. Is this normal?

Should i change the saddle valve? I know there are better options than a saddle valve but i am not a plumber. Mine is like the one below with the water coming in the top.

As long as it maintains the humidity where you want it is probably okay. If you have anything but the softest of water you WILL get mineral build up in that humidifier and it will require periodic servicing.

Saddle valves are no code compliant and illegal. They also have a nasty habit of rusting out and spraying water all over. cut in a tee, valve and 1/4" compression fitting.

also check the supply line where the 1/4" pipe comes into your humidifier there is usally a screen there it could be clogged.