Shower head extention

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnny Drama

Reaction score
A couple of quick questions:

1. Is there a reason to have the shower head extension over the tile line, or is this just a preference? I plan on retiling and the extension will come out below the tile line.

2. Does the shower head extension pipe need to be soldered at the feeder line, or is tape on the threads sufficient?

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

Where the arm comes out of the wall relative to the tile depends on how high you extend the tile. The shower arm is installed at a generic usable height and has nothing to do with where the tile is going to be installed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You don't need to cut holes in your tile if it is above the tile line, but no, there is no other reason to put it higher than the tile...personally, I like it tiled to the ceiling, then you have little choice. Depends on the layout. I always thought painted surfaces in a shower area, at least on the walls, was kind of dumb.

Pipe dope might be better than tape for the shower arm, but you should be able to get it tight enough not to move with normal use and not leak with either or both. You do not want to solder it in place!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks