(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Splice sprinkler cable?

Red face Splice sprinkler cable?

I cut open the sprinkler connection cable that was "supposed" to be buired near my garage door... cut it with a trimmer. Now two of the zones don't come on. So I assume I need to splice the cable... it is 7-strans sprinkler connection cable. Do I just splice the same way you splice any cable, or is there a special way to do it? I can't find much info, but I assume I am not the first person to do this...
    Thanks!

There are special wire nuts for splicing low voltage wires that will be exposed to water. You can also use regular wire nuts with silicone, but I think the "real" ones would be more reliable. Should be no problem.

Thanks, Gary. I appreciate the help. Are those available at any hardware store?

Yes...they are usually referred to as "silicone filled" and you can find them anywhere.

Worked like a charm! Thanks for the help.

I have been using a product called a Snaploc wire connector from Blazing Products. It is a giant swiveling Scotch lock basically, it has jaws that pierce the jacket of the wire, and make contact. It is filled with waterproof goop so the connection is water tight when closed. Much faster and more reliable than the connections I was getting with the silicon wire nuts.

If you have access to them, I would recommend trying them out.

Link - http://www.blazingproducts.com/produ...ors/index.html