Hot Water Pressure problem only in my shower.

Users who are viewing this thread

gordoj52

Reaction score
Everything else is fine, the faucet in my main bathroom, hot water for the washing machine, my other two bathrooms and showers, everything else is fine. I am thinking there is a blockage in the faucet in my main bathroom shower. everyone agree? How hard is it to do this and what other things could it be? I also have a joint hot/cold control, if you get past half way, that's how you get to hot water.

Thanks guys and ladies,

Jeff

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Why don't you tell us exactly what this shower is doing and what make/model mixer valve you have. Post a picture if unknown.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hot water

How about if few of us agree? You probably have a sticking balancing spool in the valve. How to unstick it or replace depends on which make and model shower valve you have.

gordoj52

Reaction score
It is a Moen Faucet, here is a picture of it, I am very new to the whole plumbing thing so terms, what to dos and normal jargon is like speaking another language to me. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Jeff

What it is doing exactly is, when you go past cold into the hot region of the joint shower it does get hot, but the pressure drops considerably. Like I have a bench across the shower and I have to angle it towards the ceiling to have it hit me on the bench. Never used to be this way.

And to those that will mention, I do have the plate off a bit, tried to tackle a little part of this job tonight and I didn't put it all back perfectly.

Attachments

• MyPicture.jpg
    MyPicture.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 300
  • Photo.jpg
    Photo.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 290

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It's a Moen Posi-Temp.
The cartridge needs replacing.
Call 1-800-BUY-MOEN they will send you one.

gordoj52

Reaction score
how much is the cartridge, and how do I get the old one out? Can I get one at Lowes or Home depot and not bother with moen?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Moen will likely send you one for free, so it's worth a call.

gordoj52

Reaction score
so it still leads me to my question, how do I get the old cartridge out, I get it where I get I can get that snap ring out, but nothing moves, and I also screwed it up currently and it doesn't work right, it's like in the middle somewhere is off, and cold is the wrong way, how do i fix that?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A removal tool will come with the new cartridge along with instructions...

Currently the stem the handle attaches to is rotated 180 degrees out of position that is why its acting funny.

Have you called Moen yet? You don't want to bust up the existing cartridge it will make it hard to remove.

gordoj52

Reaction score
I did call Moen, they said that they will send me a puller tool and gave me instructions on how to clean the existing one to fix it. They agree the cartridge is the problem though. So they are sending me the puller tool free of charge.

Now, how do I fix the handle attachment?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
With the handle and adapter off turn the brass stem that the handle attaches to 180 degrees and put the handle back on.

gordoj52

Reaction score
Alright, I got the pulley thing today, rebuilt the cartridge and installed, the pressure problem is fixed BUT now I have water coming out of the faucet part? Any ideas on what I did wrong? It's a decent amount, not just droplets. I'm worried about whether or not it's leaking into my wall as well. Any quick fixes out there?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks