Is it possible to put a 3.5 gallon flapper in a Toto Drake?

Users who are viewing this thread

deebee

Reaction score
Is the flapper in a Toto Drake proprietary, or can I go to the local hardware store and replace it with a 3.5 gallon flapper?

I know this is skirting the "rules" but I believe the laws up here (Canada) may differ as opposed to my neighbors in the USA.

Just want to see if our Toto Drakes can fully empty the tank with a different flapper without holding the handle down for the full flush. I notice flushing the Drakes that the flapper the comes with it drops very fast...which is the point, but if you just flick the lever and flush it seems that it isn't a full flush.

Me = newb! lol

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It MaP tests at 900 grams of solids per flush with 1.6 and 1.28 gallons per flush!

Achutch

Reaction score
deebee,

As an owner of a Drake for nearly 3 years, and one who puts a heavy demand on it, including the use of "wet wipes", I can vouch for the fact that it works perfectly on the factory supplied flapper. I do not have to hold the handle down for a complete flush.

Since I've had the Drake, I've never been able to clog it, which is essential especially since it's on the second floor of my home. My Drake works much better than any 3.5 or 5 gallon toilet that I've used !!

The Drake replaced the Eljer (pictured above with Tyler the Cat) which is now installed in my summer cabin. The 5 gallon Eljer regularly spits back paper. The Drake would never do that!

You will have no trouble using your Drakes as they are.

achutch

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As I said in answer to more or less the same question on your other thread, this is working right and you should leave it alone. Altering the internal makeup of a low flow toilet would be illegal in the US, and I'm not sure that you could replace the innards to defeat it anyway. Ya gotta develop a new mindset on how these things work. Granted, it's way different that we grew up with, but we have to change with the times. After using these Drakes for awhile, you'll see what we have been saying.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
You can change it to the THU140S (Blue) power gravity flapper and it will let out more water than the THU175S (Pink/Red) g-max flapper.
I have a customer who changed 10 toilets that way but he said he didn't see much difference but his customer was happy (to each is own).

thu175s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks