Issues with Moen 3330 3-function valve install

Users who are viewing this thread

vdecker

Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently building a kerdi shower with a Moen vertical body spa and have come up with some unexpected issues with my 3 function valve (3320)…
I bought this whole kit new from a nice fellow on e-bay and am starting to bite my fingers as to either I can get a replacement valve from Moen or deal personally with this guy who happens to live in Hawai (I’m in Canada!):eek:

But first let me explain what my issue is….
My water inlets are threaded ½ inch and I am going the Wirsbo route with ¾ within the system which consists of 4 body sprays and 1 shower head . I attached ½ male NPT to ¾ brass fittings that I laced with Teflon and leaned a bit too hard on the valve while using my wrench that the top outlet fitting to the main body solder snapped ! See attached pic!
No biggy, I figured I can unsolder and clean and flux the joint pretty easily. But before doing so I figured I would remove the pressure balancing valve and the check valves because they have rubber rings that could get deformed by the heat of an extended heat necessary for a brass to brass solder.
To my surprise I discovered a small hole or defect in the main body where the cold water check valve cartridge slides in (See pic again!)
The hole is behind the thread that seals the valve and pretty much is where the rubber gasket makes the seal when opening or closing the check valve.

Can I live with this ??? Could a malfunctioning check valve cause problems in the future ?
Could I leave it “open” and add an accessible ball valve a couple of feet away ?

What would the pros do if they were in a similar situation :) ? Moen has a really good warranty but this is void now because I am the second owner and do not have a store receipt...
Did I shoot myself in the foot :( when purchasing this online…

Anything I should look out for when soldering the main parts back together again ?

Any “positive”comments, help greatly appreciated !

Thanks
Vince

Attachments

• Presentation1.jpg
    Presentation1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,248
Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What would the pros do if they were in a similar situation :) ? Moen has a really good warranty but this is void now because I am the second owner and do not have a store receipt...
Did I shoot myself in the foot :( when purchasing this online…

First a pro would avoid problems by not buying parts on a popular on-line auction site. Call 1-800-BUY-Moen and find out.

BTW Nice BBQ job on the 2X4!

vdecker

Reaction score
The Price was really right for this entire rig... it was hard not to resist! I knew I was taking a certain risk when buying online but took the chance anyway.:eek:

So you like my sacrificial pole eh? Sometimes I think I should stake a little critter :eek: to it and offer it to the "basement reno gods" as a gift to keep future bad omens away!

So should I scrap the valve or can I make with it? The way I see it, my cold water check valve will be disabled. How can I work around this if I need to make any future repairs ?

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Have you tried calling Moen? Use the # I posted earlier and see what they say. Maybe they will surprise you!

moen_3330.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Moen has a great policy in Canada for all your moen products regardless how many owners there have been or if you have burned your sales slip.

Call moen and they may send you a new faucet. If you are in Ontario, moen located in Oakville

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have no clue what the customer says to moen...
I'll install whatever they get from moen.
I haven't had a Moen callback so I've never had to say anything.

vdecker

Reaction score
I did contact Moen. They need an original receipt if they are going to ship me a new valve. Because these things are expensive a receipt is mandatory. I once had a soap dispenser sent to me , no questions asked...

vdecker

Reaction score
Well, I tried calling Moen again, this time e-mailing a photo of the hole in the stop valve... Got a reply 5mins later saying my new valve had been ordered and was being couriered ! Just got it today.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, I tried calling Moen again, this time e-mailing a photo of the hole in the stop valve... Got a reply 5mins later saying my new valve had been ordered and was being couriered ! Just got it today.
Chalk another one up for the Moen customer service in Canada:cool:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
My experience with Moen is they leave a trail of happy customers in their wake whenever there is a defect or, warrantee issue...

vdecker

Reaction score
I could not resist the urge to check out my new valve with detail so I removed the stop valves and I could not believe what I was seing!:eek:

How can this be ? Could it be a design flaw? Or am I just over-reacting and this valve is fine ?

Attachments

• Presentation1.jpg
    Presentation1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 915
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks