Private Label Toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumb08

Reaction score
I'm really interested in private label toilets, but at some companies the PL tank trim in the toilets is junk and at others its really good quality. Anyone know anything about Private Label toilets and their trim at these companies?

-Lowe's
-Ferguson
-Interline
-HD Supply

:confused:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
When even some of the name brands from the past are putting out trash, why do think these private labels will be any good? I'm all for saving a buck when I can, but there are times when you need to step up to the plate and pay for quality. Unfortunately, even then if you are not informed about what company is putting out quality and which companies are relying on their past reputation to sell junk, you can still be screwed. You want a quality toilet? Look at Toto's line. Not a poor or even marginal performer in the lot.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A toilet is a life time investment. Something you will use every day, several times a day. Why would you want to take a chance and buy something that is crap? Many of us consider the w\c to be the single most important fixture in the house. It must be able to handle the daily wear and tear and abuse that we give it. It must be comfortable and stable, built solidly with care and precision. When the handle is pressed the inner workings must instantly respond, sending a cascade of purifying water to the bowel with deadly efficiency so that not one single particle of waste is left in evidence. No my good man, here is not the place to pinch pennies. A quality toilet is a joy forever.:D

Plumb08

Reaction score
I know it's worth it to pay good money for a quality toilet. I guess my real question is:

-What companies' valves are in these companies' private label toilets so I know whether they are quality or not?

For Example:
- What company makes the toilet valves that are in the TOTO toilets that make them so good and reliable?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toto innards are made by a very well known and dependable company. Parts and complete units are available everywhere at reasonable prices. What sets the Toto apart from most of the others is the extremely well designed and engineered trap ways and first rate quality control. They do not market blems or seconds as many of the other manufacturers do, and they don't make a no-label cheapie. They are not available in Box Stores because they do not make a builder grade product that can be priced low enough for the Box Stores.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
One good reason NOT to go there.....try to find a proper replacement handle for a Glacier Bay.
Another reason: look at the map numbers for Glacier Bay, Lamosa, Whirlpool....to name a few. They are not up there in the performance band. Of course, if you were looking for a top performing toilet, you would not be looking for a cheapy to begin with.

In general....you do get what you pay for.

Plumb08

Reaction score
I believe you about its quality and dependability, eveyrone has been raving about Toto in the threads. What is the name of this well known and dependable company that makes the innards for Toto? Sounds like most people know about it. I know some information when it comes to toilets, but I want to become more knowledgeable about toilets down to the details. I feel that once you know something inside and out you can make the best decisions.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
inards

Kohler uses a Fluidmaster fill valve. American Standard uses either a Fluidmaster, (good), or their SmartValve, (bad). Many of the others use a Coast float valve, (so-so until it goes bad). Look at a showroom model to find out "What is inside"

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I believe you about its quality and dependability, eveyrone has been raving about Toto in the threads. What is the name of this well known and dependable company that makes the innards for Toto? Sounds like most people know about it. I know some information when it comes to toilets, but I want to become more knowledgeable about toilets down to the details. I feel that once you know something inside and out you can make the best decisions.

The "innards" of a toilet are pretty basic. The better performing flushers like the Toto's, or AmStd Cadet 3, Kohler Cimarron, etc. use a large trapway/large flush valve design. So , it is the design of the whole toilet, not the specific parts, which make a good one. Most companies use off the shelf fill valves...either a Fluidmaster, or Coast ballcock or similar. Kohler has been an exception, using space-shuttle type components. But even they are using FLuidmasters more now. SO, it is not the internal components, but the overall design that makes a good one. Then of course, we can get into quality of the porcelain construction.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks