Replacing a Toto seat

Users who are viewing this thread

Hobbes

Reaction score
I'm about to purchase a Toto Drake toilet, and I'm thinking I would prefer to not use the soft-close seat. I tried it out in a showroom and it is way too slow to close. I think I would get quite annoyed waiting for the thing to close so I can set a towel or something on the seat. I don't really see much value in the soft close feature. I am also dubious of that concave shape.

For a replacement seat I know that the shape of the bowl (elongated in this case) is standard, but will there be a problem matching the color? I'll be getting the cotton white, but I don't know if white replacement seats from other manufacturers will match. Toto doesn't appear to make a non-soft-close seat.

Anybody using a different seat on a Toto? Was the color match a problem?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The seat gets faster after awhile, and I find them comfortable. My doctor told me not to ever sit there for more than 3-minutes and it's more than fine for that time.

I've been told it won't hurt the seat to help it down, but I can't confirm that. If someone ever in the middle of the night let the seat drop and woke you up, or a small child ever dropped the seat on a finger, you'd appreciate the soft-close seat.

A different brand white seat would be close, but may not exactly match the curve and have the same overlap or color. Will it be a fashion faux pas? Probably not.

Hobbes

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

It's just me and the wife, and we have no kids, so no worries about little fingers. This is for my bathroom (she has her own ;)), and I can't recall ever having the seat drop noisily. So I'm not sure I would derive any of the "benefit" of the soft-close. It seems like an unnecessary gimmick for my needs.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The reason I sell so many soft close seats, and the reason so many people ask for them again is:

Made from hygienic plastic

You don't have to set them down to prevent slamming. Just give it a slap and go about your other business, for me that would be washing my hands.

When I have been playing too much sports at my age, I don't have to bend over as far to put down the seat. I'm rather tall, so I notice that.
Of course many men don't put the seats down. Ever.........Just kidding.

They look better than then so many of the other brands. I see some other seats that I sometimes sell, but they look kind of cheesy in comparison.
I decided that if people want cheesy, they can find their own. Seats aren't a money maker anyway. I have too many "other branded" cheesy seats hanging around as it is. Let the home centers use up their wall space with them.

The concave seat, yeah, that's better too.
I like it better than sitting on a flat board.
We had an outhouse in Canada and on the farm. I don't know why we never put a seat in there.
Lots of new ideas turn out to be good in the long run.
I like driving my "foo foo" SUV with all wheel drive in the Winter.
On hard pack snow I like to scream around corners with the brake feathered so that the ABS kicks in, giving traction to more wheels.
Then watching the rear view to see the cars behind me spinning out.
Damn that's fun.

The color matches better too, not a big deal though.
I don't think most people are that picky.
If they want cheesy seats, color isn't going to bother them.
The cheaper seats I carry don't really color match, and nobody has ever even noticed. If I"m making $3 on a seat, just to help them out the door, I don't even think about it. Seats are held on by two bolts, you can change them like you change your TV.

Bowl shapes are generic in the USA
You either get a "regular" bowl, or an "elongated" bowl.
They are held on by two bolts
They are easy to change
They come in all prices
The ones I have start at $14.99, I could find cheaper stuff like the hardware stores, but I'm not going back to change out a flimsy chessy seat that nobody likes. They should spend at least enough to prevent silly call backs.
I also sell seats in the $398 to $1299 range. Now those are nice seats.
I would call those "foo foo" seats.
Warm to set on, warm water to wash with, and warm air to dry with.
Yeah Baby! You know what I'm talking about.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks