Great Idea For Switches

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plates

I am not sure, but if I remember correctly I pretty much knew what every switch was for after about a week in the house. And unless it is also in Braille, engraving won't help much in the dark.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
They look neat, in a useless kind of way - hj had it right. There are several things I never see labelled -- switches like these, the drawers in a mechanic's rollaround, cabinets and drawers in home kitchens and bathrooms. I'm sure there are others...

No problem for the owner, but visitors are lost. We were in a rental house in California for the weekend last week, with people sleeping all over the place after a long evening. My wife and I got up early, and sneaked into the kitchen, with her whispering "be quiet!" to me all the way. She wanted light, but she turned on the garbage disposer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
switch

Even with the plates engraved she would still have turned on the garbage disposer unless the plates were luminous or you had a flashlight, but then she probably wouldn't have needed the light.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
There was plenty of light, but only a 33 or 50% chance of getting the light - I don't remember if it was a double- or triple-gang. She also didn't have her glasses on, so only your original idea (Braille) would have helped.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks