Need advice on boosting water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Palladio

Reaction score
Raising the water tank would cost more like $5,000,000. It's the size of a small house and is enclosed in the top of the building!

Also can't raise pressure at the source, since that's building supplied. My building has over 200 apartments and takes up an entire city block front, it is also 78 years old, so this is a rather complicated problem.

Not sure about city zoning codes for water pressure. I really don't want to get into a battle with my building. I have to live there, and there are some very tough lawyers with very deep pockets on the co-op board. I doubt I'd have the ammunition to take them on.

I'm still hoping there is some pump/mechanical solution that I can do at my end to solve the problem.

Palladio

Reaction score
So the contractor is talking about installing a pump for the tub only that would be placed between the thermostatic valve and the spout. I think he is sort of pulling this one out of you know where.

We are talking about a 3/4" thermostatic valve, followed by a 3/4" volume control, with a 3/4" line to the spout.

This would seem to be the best solution, since only one pump would be required. I'm just not sure what sort of pump (if there is one) could operate in this location. Once the volume control is open and proper temperature water is flowing through the thermostatic valve, does it make sense that a booster pump could pull additional volume through this set up to spout?

I wonder about valve issues, cavitation and whether the pump could handle hot water over the long term.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You will experience "0" satisfaction! Without enough supply the pump will cavitate. They probably have a booster pump already except its not working. Plain and simple they need to fix the system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks