Sewer Pipe "ticking"

Users who are viewing this thread

Zundey

Reaction score
I live in a newly constructed home (1.5 yrs old) and the sewer pipe that connects up stairs makes a loud, short "ticking" sound when water is run (especially hot water). It also does this when water is run on the main-floor level. It's driving me nuts! Please help.

More details:
The sound is coming from the ceiling/wall connection area the connects the house to the garage (the sewer pipe is in the wall). The sound is more frequent (every second) when water is run upstarts as compared to the main level (about every 2 to 5 seconds). We live in the upper midwest, although I don't think the weather has much to do with it as it's been going on since we moved in (December-ish).
Thanks much!

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The PVC waste pipe expands and contracts as you run hot water through it then again as it contracts as it starts to cool again - not alot you can do about it. stuffing the cavity with insulation may muffle it some. My unprofessional opinion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks