insulate the heat duct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rburt5

Reaction score
I have a large unheated crawl space under my family room. The family room is cold in the winter and warm in the summer. I'm thinking about wrapping the heat duct that runs through the crawl space under the room. Will this make a difference? Cost effective? If so, what kind should I use?

P.S. - The heat duct runs about 18' though the crawl space.

Rburt5

Reaction score
Here is a photo of the crawl space (if it worked).:)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 899

Marc46

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
Both of you guys need to find out exactly what you have there.
Rburt most likely has "internally" insulated sheet metal ducts, although I don't see "tack pins" in his pic.
My eyes are not what they used to be!

If not,........it would pay you to use duct wrap, even though it is in a crawlspace that appears to be well insulated.
Drop a section, by taking off the drive connectors, and see if there is insulation inside of the sheet metal.

Southernman,.......you may have a similar circumstance.
Externally wrapped round pipe "takeoffs", originating from an internally lined sheet metal trunk,.........or from a ductboard trunk.

Details are needed to determine if your work, and expense will be a plus.
Obviously more insulation can't hurt, but it is a cost,.....effort vs. expected savings issue.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What is probably as much of a benefit is to ensure there are no air leaks in the ducts - seal them properly so you get all of the conditioned air you've paid for.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks