Converting a Toto Ultimate to a UltraMax

Users who are viewing this thread

Firstlight2

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have 2 Toto Ultimate toilets that have worked well. One of my sons is appoaching 10 years and is producing movements that can clog the toilets fairly regularly. Another posting states that their son also produces pop can size movements. The Ultramax handles these with ease.

I am now looking at the Ultramax as an alternative. It looks like the only differences between the Ultimate and the Ultramax are the fill valve and the flapper. The rest of the toilet looks identical.

If I upgraded these two parts (Gmax fill valve and Red flapper) would I effectively have an Ultramax toilet or is there something else I'm missing here?

Hoping to save the cost of purchasing two new toilets.

Thanks.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
You need to change the Flush Valve and flapper as the water level in the tank will have to be raised and the over flow on the flush valve is to low.
The fill valve does not have to be replaced if your handy.
All you need to do is increase the height.
If you remove the white clip on the side of the fill valve and turn it counter closewise you can lift up, once you have the right height you turn it clockwise and that locks it in position.
You don't have to replace the white clip.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The red flapper lets out the least amount of water.
The Blue stays up longer.

The Flush valve would need to be one with the taller overflow tube.
Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to raise the level in the tank.

Or you could just hold the handle down a bit longer during the flush with what you have.

toto_cst854_inside_tank.jpg

Last edited:

Firstlight2

Reaction score
Thank you Peanut9199 and Terry. I'll give this a try and see what happens.

Terry, Thank you for this site. I never imagined that the inner workings of toilets could prove so interesting and informative.

Susanna

Reaction score
Newbie here,

Been doing a lot of research to find a toilet that has great flushing, ADA height, easy cleaning, 1 piece and affordable. Went to a a local contractor supply and they have a floor model Toto Ultimate (standard height though)they will sell me for $169. Trouble is, I want the Ultramax flush,and they do have an Ultramax with a broken tank. After finding this thread I think I will see if they will sell/give me the valve etc from the Ultramax before they toss the toilet as they plan to do. Any negatives you can see with making this switch? All this discussion about the blue and red flappers falling down at different rates has me a bit confused ...it is 2 am here... so can you simplify just how that makes a better flush?

Also, toilet will be in a very tight bathroom, and is elongated, so was considering the 1 piece Cadet 3 Compact ADA. Most of the posts I found about the Cadet Compact were fairly old. Any new info that would lead me towards or away from it?

Thanks so much!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I know it's two in the morning, but the Toto Ultimate works very well as is.
And that price they quoted is 31% of retail.

You won't find a better deal then that.

The Blue flapper lets out more water.
More water means more flushing.

If you change out the guts, to raise the water level in the tank, it does gain a bit more force as the water drops.

Frankly, after installing four of the Ultimates in my church, and having one at home for two years. I think you already have a great toilet.
I also installed four Ultramax and three Drakes at the church.
I don't think anyone worries about which one they are using.
They have been Superior to the American Standard Cadet toilets we replaced.

Susanna

Reaction score
Thanks Terry!

I took my husband shopping (and sitting on) some toilets. Unfortunately he has a hard time getting up from the standard height Ultimate with the excellent price...I guess I am going to have to get the Toto ADA height after all and pay full price. Probably would be just as expensive to do that as to have a small platform built for the standard...Ah well...

Are there any good toilet seats out there that help make up some of the difference in height without being those ugly plastic monster contraptions?

Thanks again,

Susanna

Susanna

Reaction score
Susanna here again,

Was looking at the specs on the one piece Ultramax ADA height elongated bowl and realized it does not come with CEFIONTECT. Seems to me that would be important for someone with a disability who has trouble cleaning. Any chance that may change? I was ready to buy it, but now I may look at the Gwyneth since it has the sanigloss. I like the cyclone action, and really love the idea that there are no little holes around the rim to clog up.

Is the Gwyneth also the Ultramax II? Toto's site had the Gwenyth's spec on the Ultramax II's page.

I notice that the outlet in some Toto bowls aren't roundish and seem to "squish" in at the front. Is there a purpose to that? Does it affect the flush at all?

Terry, your posts on the Gwyneth are encouraging, but don't seem to have the same enthusiasm you have for the Ultramax. Or am I just imagining that?

Thanks again.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Toto website does list CEFIONTECT as an option for the ADA Ultramax.
For less money, you could go with the Gwyneth. It has a tall bowl and the CEFIONTECT.

You may also want to consider the Soiree and the Guinevere.
Tall bowl, CEFIONTECT, double cyclone, and the skirted bowls for easier cleaning.

Either way, it's going to be better then what you have been using.

Video of performance

Last edited:

Yona

Reaction score
Hi! I have an old Toto without a number in tank (from around 2002), 1.6 g. After sending photos to Toto they said it's either the Ultimate or the Ultramax. The fill valve and flush valve are not original (they are Fluidmaster) so I don't know what color was the original flapper. Changed the fill valve with a Korky 528T, but don't know what model flush valve to buy. Can I fit either one on the same tank? Which would work better? I have to say that the toilet has been a pain since we bought the house, need to flush at least twice to clean the bowl, have to keep the lever pressed for a while to it flushes, clogs at least once a week.... I would like the buy the one that flushes best because if it keeps working as now, we'll have to change the whole thing ($$$). Thank you

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Changed the fill valve with a Korky 528T, but don't know what model flush valve to buy. Can I fit either one on the same tank? Which would work better?

I have been using the universal 3" flapper from Fluidmaster on those. They are adjustable as to the amount of float they give you.
The Korky 528T fill valve with the blue cap works well with those. The tubing from the fill valve needs to be directed into the overflow tube to refill the bowl after a flush. If the bowl starts off low, it will impede the flush.

toto_cst854_inside_tank.jpg

Sometimes when a toilet doesn't clear in one flush, it's because there is something in the trapway slowing the siphon down. It can be something as simple as Q-Tips, baby wipes, make-up pens.
You can try dumping a five gallon bucket of water right into the bowl and see if that sweeps the trapway.

korky-3060-2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks