Can't shut off water main

Users who are viewing this thread

hambonejones

Reaction score
Just got ready to remove my built in base cab for bathroom remodel and I have to take the ends off because there are just 2 holes cut in back of wood cabinet for plumbing. Went to shut off water at main and it absolutely will not budge...probably hasn't been turned in 30 years. Any ideas how I can proceed? I need to finish with cabinet demo before hubby gets home

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

1. Have a plumber's phone number handy.
2. Use a wrench to try to turn the valve handle.
3. If the handle breaks off or it does turn but never stops turning, see step #1.
4. If it does turn the water off, but never stops turning when you try to restore water pressure, and you do not have any water, then see step #1 also.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The speed version of HJ's advice: Refer to step #1. Save the can of worms you would be opening for a day at the lake fishing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks