Help with Washer Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I'm stumped here guys and could use some help. I need to add a 2" washing machine drain to the setup shown below. There is a 3" vertical drain line and a 2" vertical vent line that I need to tap into.

I can't figure out how to pipe in the drain....here are my problems. The pipes are in between the studs. I want to use a flush mount washer drain box. I want the drain to be to the left of the 3" line.

Any help here...I can if needed fir out the wall with 2X's on their side.

Attachments

• laundry plumbing.jpg
    laundry plumbing.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 658

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Are you sure it is okay to add a drain at that location in those pipes? It looks to me like you are on the main floor and there are fixtures draining in from above, and I believe the plumbers here will say you need to do something different.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

From your drawing it is obvious that you do not have the room for the box where you want it. You will either have to move the 2" pipe, assuming it is a vent, because if it is not then you cannot make the connection anyway, or put the box to the right of the pipe.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
This is one of my 3 main stacks in the house. I am adding this laundry on the second floor. Below is a 1/2 bath and the 2" line is the vent from the toilet that goes all the way to the third floor and connects back to the main stack just before it exits the roof(above all other fixtures)

There are other fixtures that use this 3" drain from above, there is a full bathroom that drains down this line.

I don't see why I wouldn't be able to tie into these lines, am I missing something?

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I was thinking of using a 3x3x2 tee into the stack then coming off with a 2" drain line to the washer trap. I would vent the line by putting a tee on it's back before the trap and running a 1.5" line over to the vent line on the right.

Sorry for the rough drawing.

Attachments

• laundry plumbing2.jpg
    laundry plumbing2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 640

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I ended up plumbing it how I drew it except I took a 1.5" vent straight up instead of tapping into the 2" line and tied it into the 3" line up in the attic.

The 2" vent is galvanized and would be a PITA to cut and I would still have to fir out the entire wall to hide the pipe running over to it.

I was able to bore a 2" hole in one stud to the left of the stack and another 1.5" in the top plate to run my new vent out.

Looks great and I was able to use my box after all. Man I stared at that wall for a long time before it finally came to me.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Quick ques...I used one of those steel nail protector/ stud braces that goes around the pipe. The only problem is they are made for modern 2x4's....in my house they really are 2" x 4". How do you guys deal with that?

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
No, that's not what I meant about the plate not fitting. These aren't the flat nailer plates, but ones that wrap on either side and the front of the stud...they are u shaped.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks