Urgent toilet problem in nearly completed job...

Users who are viewing this thread

deebee

Reaction score
Just found this forum through Google. And I am glad I did!

Very long story short...we are just about complete on a lounge renovation and the former (fired) plumber recommended we get American Standard Renaissance toilets from Home Depot. Big mistake...

Two of the toilets barely flush, if at all. One takes a few times to flush, the other several, and the last one flushes great every time. They are all connected to new plumbing, are fully vented, been snaked, wax ring checked, etc. etc. by very qualified plumbers.

Plumbers come to the conclusion that it must be a bad toilet as the one that flushes the worst is about 8 feet away from the one that flushes great. The 3rd one is a strange beast...flushes perfect 4/5 times, and the 5th time the water barely flushes. Very inconsistent...

Is it possible that this toilet is this bad?

We never should have got them in the first place, but it is now one of those "If I knew then what I know now" situations and now we have to get this problem fixed before opening in a week.

I will be replacing at least one with Toto Drake, but was just wondering if our situation is unusual?

Thanks, folks!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Are you sure that it is a Renaissance and not a Reminiscence?

If it is a Reminiscence it is nothing more than a pimped out version of a Cadet!
We're not even talking Cadet 3 here folks!
We're talking Cadet... This thing could barely make the grade as a urinal without clogging...

Get the Toto Drakes! You'll be happy, Heck get the Toto Carusoe which is the bottom of the line and you've got a toilet that flushes 4X better than a Cadet no matter how much bling they hang on it...

I'm sorry that you had a plumber give you such bad advice!

Last edited by a moderator:

deebee

Reaction score
Redwood, thanks for the quick reply!

I can't link to the place I bought it (censored) but it is called "American Standard Renaissance All in One Toilet"

I am going to try and find Toto here, but I am in northern Canada and there are limited places to get them. If anyone has any suitable substitutions, feel free to chime in! It is a commercial application - a lounge, but not a puking frat boy type place.

But I have to ditch those toilets I have. It's a bad sign when you are not even open yet and you can't flush one square of toilet paper without giving it 3 tries.

I am just curious as to whether or not some toilets act like that. I thought quality would be better.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Darren,
The American Standard Renaissance RF is rated at 200 grams and the Elongated version is rated at 250 grams.
The Toto Drake elongated is rated at 900 grams.
I certainly would not have installed the American Standard Renaissance in a commercial bathroom.
250 is pretty low for commercial use.

You can start with one toilet and see if that is the problem.
Regardless, if the leave the Renaissance in place, you will be doing a lot of plunging.
Terry Love
www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
IMNSHO (in my not so humble opinion) American Standard hasn't made a good toilet since 1.6 GPF was mandated.:eek:

Coming up on 15 years in the junk business!

With MaP Report ratings like that it has to be another pimped out Cadet!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
IMNSHO (in my not so humble opinion) American Standard hasn't made a good toilet since 1.6 GPF was mandated.

While many people on this forum would agree with this statement, an equal number would agree that the Cadet 3 is a (the only?) good 1.6 gallon toilet made by American Standard.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There is a big difference between a Cadet & a Cadet 3... I have no problem agreeing with that equal number of people.

I'd go so far as to say the Cadet 3 is the best toilet Am. Std. has made in 15 years!:eek:

When it comes to comparing the Cadet & the Cadet 3 it's like comparing the Citarum River in Indionesia to water that meets the minimum standards for drinking water.

sea-of-garbage-2.jpg

That is garbage floating on the surface! you can't see the water.

sea-of-garbage-3.jpg

Toto is like reverse osmosis!:D

Last edited:

deebee

Reaction score
Ok, here is an update.

On the worst flushing toilet, I tried flushing it about half a dozen times, it actually did a semi full flush once.

I then dumped a 5 gallon pail of water down the bowl just to make sure. It went straight down, very fast...

So, I think this toilet is a dud.

Which is screwy because of 3 identical toilets I bought, only one works properly. Congrats American Standard! :D

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One of the comments has been lack of quality control. The actual design might be okay, but unless you have good control and consistency, it's kind of useless.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks