Newbie needs advice on possible system

Users who are viewing this thread

Nicki

Reaction score
Hi everyone,sorry first of all if this question has been answered in a different way,but I have a more particular question about a brand of system I am contemplating installing in my home.Firstly,we live on a farm,our well is 185 feet deep,the water level is always 20 feet down,therfore we have about 160 plus gallons of water available for usage at any given time.We always knew our water was hard,so we installed a Culligan softener several years ago.This past winter,we received a ton of snow,and the ground never froze,so I am not sure if we got surface contamination or just the well water gets stagnant since we cannot use it all in a day.
Anyway to the point,we had our water tested today,iron is 7-8 ppm,hardness is at 30,and lately we have noticed a sulfur smell,and the water does not need to be hot to smell it.I googled our problem into the computer,and came up with the Metalmaster from Vitasalus Inc.I phoned them today,and he asked me about the toilet tank,which I had not checked.Upon checking it he was right,there was a slime on top of the water,and at the top edge of the water a black ring like an oil slick.Apparently this is IRB?,never heard of it before.He tells me I need an inline chlorinator,or any filtration system will plug up with this stuff,then the MetalMaster,then a carbon filter to remove the chlorine before it enters the house plumbing.Does this sound about right?I don't understand why the chlorine needs to be removed after putting it in or else it is very strong?The man who took the sample today recommended green sand with potassium permanganate?He said just keep the system simple,and all will work out fine,but his price is higher than I got the quote from Vitasalus.Any advice or help would be GREATLY appreciated,as I would like to make a decision very soon before my fixtures,clothes etc. get ruined as everything is turning brown.As a footnote,I had a Whole House Filtration system installed from Home Depot,and it only made the water worse after a week.Sorry about the long post,but I wanted to have as much info as possible available .
Thanks

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I strongly suggest you don't use their MetalMaster. Mixing different types on media in one tank is never a good idea. Also, their prices are quite high for what you get.

Yes you have IRB and probably M(anganese)RB. If enough to cause problems you have to kill it to get rid of the problems they can cause with equipment etc.. If you kill them, you also oxidize the iron in the water and that will cause dirty water that must be filtered to get rid of the chlorine and the dirt in the water.

To size and price equipment we would have to talk but I use an inline chlorinator and a special mixing/retention tank and then a special carbon in a backwashed filter. My prices are lower than theirs.

I take it you want to install any equipment yourself but if not you can hire a plumber or you could go to a local dealer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks