(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Water looks like Alka Seltzer? What Gives?

Hybrid View

Default Water looks like Alka Seltzer? What Gives?

Our well is over 20 years old. 350 deep. Have had no problems with the quality of the water until about 3 weeks ago. Water drawn from any faucet looks like a glass of Alka Seltzer at first, It will clear in a couple of minutes but it has never done this before. I think this is a high concentration of disolved air because sometimes the faucet will sputter a few times before flowing smoothly.
    Can anyone out there give me some guidance on what going on and how to correct it? Thanks!

Do you have a softener etc.?

Are you in a drought area? Any new wells in the area?

Watch the pressure gauge on the pressure tank or pump over 10 minutes for a decrease in pressure when no water is used in the building. Did the pressure hold or fall? If it fell, shut off the main water shut off valve and repeat the pressure loss watch of the gauge. If the pressure fell and now didn't, you have a leak on the house side of the valve. If it still fell, you have a leak on the well side of the valve.

You could have a well that just began 'producing methane. To test for it, use like a 2 liter soda bottle filled half full with your water, cap it tight and shake hard for a minute or more. Light a match/lighter and hold it close to the cap as you remove it and squeeze the bottle forcing air out of it through the flame. If the 'air' ignites, you have methane. That assumes you don't have any H2S gas odor in the water.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Gary, Thanks for the troubleshooting info. Yes, We are in a drought area. Last year and so far this year we are seeing ~ 16" deficit. (Usually about 42-48" is normal). The last well in the area was drilled about 2 years ago, but this problem is more recent. I will need to do the other checks you suggest this afternoon. Thanks!

Previous member

Do you have a check valve up near the tank in the house?

bob...

Yes, I have a check valve just inside the crawl space. The well is about 125' away.

Do you have a softener etc.?

That extra check valve will prevent you from seeing evidence of a leak between it and the well and a leak that is adding air to your water.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.