Lake pump pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

dmarple

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I am running my sprinkler system with a lake pump. I have noticed recently that the pressure/flow in the system drops after the pump has been on for a while - say 2- 3 hours. Until then it operates normally. The pump is 5 feet above the water surface. The foot valve is 4 feet below the surface. I have checked the foot valve for obvious things that might restrict flow and have not found anything. It is 4 years old though and I suspect it may be the problem. Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it possible that the zone that comes on later in the cycle has more heads or a leak in the distribution system that demands greater flow? That would cause the pump to deliver less pressure.

dmarple

Reaction score
I don't think that is it as it seems to happen no matter what what zone sequence is running.

As an example I had it set to run at 4 am today. When I went out ther apx 6:30 it was running zone 5 but hardly enough pressure to pop the sprinkler heads. I checked the pump/motor and its sounded normal and was not overheating. I shut it off for half an hour. I restarted zone 5 and it worked fine throughout the rest of the program.

Thanks

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
It sounds to me that the motor is over heating. You should check the voltage at the motor while off, then while running. If there is significant drop (more that 2 or 3%) then your feed wire is too small. Most motors don't like voltages less than 115 or so, and prefer 120.

Speedbump

Reaction score
If your only using a Footvalve for a Lake Strainer, you can assume that every leaf that comes in the vicinity of the Footvalve will try it's best to get sucked up against the screen.

You may need a real Lake Strainer.

bob...

dmarple

Reaction score
For some reaon my Reply dropped off. If this is a repeat please forgive me.

The motor is 2 HP and is supposed to be hooked up to 240 V. 240 is out there but I neve really checked to see if it is wired correctly. It does run hot or it seems hot to me. Not so hot That I can't put my hand on it but hot. Of course its in the 90's in Texas. Would it even be possible to Start and run a 2HP motor on 120 V ?

It sounds like I need to invest in the Strainer irregardless of the othe issues.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You may have low voltage to the motor... But Not That Low!:eek:
Measure it if you have concerns.

dmarple

Reaction score
Thanks - will do, Just thought of somehting else, If it were the foot valve or something else obstructing the suction wouldn't that show up on my suction pressure ? What would it do, raise the pressure ?

Speedbump

Reaction score
Suction - Pressure? It's either one or the other, they are opposites. If you had a Vacuum Gauge in the Suction line, you would probably see a very high reading, like 28 inches of Vacuum. But while pumping lots of water, there is always going to be a rather high amount of Vacuum on that line.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks