Shower low hot water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

fsrph

Reaction score
Hello,

I am having a problem with one of the water control knobs in my shower. We have two knobs, one for cold water and one for hot. You turn the knobs clockwise or counter-clockwise to turn the water on and off.

The cold water knob works fine. With the hot water knob, however, when you turn it about only 1/2 of a turn the hot water comes out and if you twist the knob further (to try and increase the volume of hot water) the amount of hot water coming out stays the same as the 1/2 turn.

Anotherwords, after 1/2 turn of the knob you can twist the hot water knob as much as you want and the amount of hot water coming out of the faucet will not increase. So the amount of cold water is mismatched with the hot...the cold is much greater.

Also, When you start a shower the water mix is about 50:50 (hot-cold) and the mixture is hot enough and the pressure islow but good enough to take a decent shower. But, then after about 30- 45 seconds the water begins to get cooler....so I have to turn the cold water off a little so the hot to cold ratio is now maybe 60:40. I have to keep turning down the cold water every 30-60 seconds to keep the water temp at an acceptable level. By the end of the shower the water is maybe 95% from the hot tap and only 5% from the cold tap. But by constantly lowering the cold water (out of neccessity) the pressure coming out of the shower is too low

Any thoughts on what is wrong with the hot water knob and how to repair (or replace) it is appreciated. I thought that if the stem or washer needed repair or replacement the control knob would leak. I guess my question is what could be wrong and can the stem/washer be a problem *without* showing signs of leaking. Thanks,
Thanks.

Francis

Last edited:

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It might be a combo of things causing the trouble. The first step would be to check the hot water source for proper operation, if all checks out I would rebuild the faucet completely, both H & C sides.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks