(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Stuck galvanized steel elbow

Default Stuck galvanized steel elbow

Hi. I'm in the process of replacing vanities in my bathroom.

I've opened the wall since I needed to move the sinks.

Discharge line running out of the bathroom is 1.5" Galvanized steel with a right angle elbow where it broke the wall for the old sink. I want to remove the elbow and convert to PVC. However I can't get the elbow off. Tried a pipe wrench and a hammer, then an extension. It is buried amongst the wall studs so access is poor.

Suggestions? I've never had much luck with WD40. Someone recommended PB Blaster anyone have experience with it? I'm a bit worried about using propane torch because of the proximity of the wall studs.

Thanks!!!

WD 40 is not a penetrating oil. PB Blaster is about the best stuff going right now. Spray the joint, let it set for awhile then repeat. It will still take a good sized wrench to remove the elbow. If you still can't get it off, you may have to open the wall and cut above and below the tee the elbow is in then use banded coupling to attach your PVC.

Did you try slipping a piece of pipe over your pipe wrench for added leverage?

If you still can't get the pipe off after penetrating lube get a reciprocating saw and cut the pipe then install PVC in its place with a Fernco coupling.

PVC is so much easier to work with I never regretted replacing all of my old Galvanized with PVC.
    “It often requires more courage to dare to do right than to fear to do wrong.”
    Abraham Lincoln

"To move ahead you need to believe in yourself...have conviction in your beliefs and the confidence to execute those beliefs.”
    Adlin Sinclair

Do not use the neoprene sleeve Fernco couplers for this. Use the banded or no-hub couplers. The neoprene sleeves are only for buried work.

Default elbow

Why are you trying to unscrew it? You cannot extend it with PVC by using a female adapter, therefore you are going to have to cut the thread off anyway, so why not just cut the pipe now?