Where are Toto toilets made?

Users who are viewing this thread

TD12659

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am an old Gerber Retiree .... I will NOT buy anything made By Gerber, Am St, Eljer (Am S) or any of the Companies that have "Moved" from the USA. I buy Toto IF I can find them....usually 100 miles or more from me. MOST Companies that moved their production have only one thing in mind....quantity and NOT Quality. Quality is what kept Gerber in business for the 30+ years I worked in all of the USA Factories....When Oscar Gerber and Harriet Lewis Passed away the co. went downhill fast.

kuser

Reaction score
I don't care where they are made, as long as they are quality toilets. I have a Toto toilet that was installed in 2012. Two months ago I had to have the guts of the tank replaced because it was leaking (inside, not outside). These are expensive. Now the seat is loose, and has to be replaced! The design is such that it cannot be just tightened. It requires a special tool kit ($12-$15) and the seat has to be ordered at 3 times the cost of what could be purchased at a big box store. AND the supply house says whole toilet has to be removed to replace it!! I will opt for American Standard, Kohler, etc., if I have anymore trouble with it. This inconvenience has also cost 2 visits from the plumber!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't care where they are made, as long as they are quality toilets. I have a Toto toilet that was installed in 2012. Two months ago I had to have the guts of the tank replaced because it was leaking (inside, not outside). These are expensive. Now the seat is loose, and has to be replaced! The design is such that it cannot be just tightened. It requires a special tool kit ($12-$15) and the seat has to be ordered at 3 times the cost of what could be purchased at a big box store. AND the supply house says whole toilet has to be removed to replace it!! I will opt for American Standard, Kohler, etc., if I have anymore trouble with it. This inconvenience has also cost 2 visits from the plumber!

If the plumber is supplying the seat, God knows what the charge can be. Seats are generic though. Any brand seat will fit.
On pricing, some stuff that I do for less than $200 can be as much as $800 by a competitor.
Because a plumber charge a lot, doesn't mean the brand matters. I have a much easier time repairing most of the TOTO product, and tend to charge less for them.
Most of the TOTO product I sell can be repaired by a Universal TOTO flapper found at any hardware store, and a Universal fill valve.
The costs are the same as for the other brands. And what special tool are you talking about. I use pliers and a srewdriver. If you don't have those two tools, why bother getting up?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Terry is being too polite. Let me put a finer point on it: it is a near certainty that your plumber, or whomever told you that, is ripping you off.

It's that simple.

Unless you installed a $4000 Toto Neorest toilet or a $1000 Toto with the tank in the wall, the "guts" of that toilet consist of a fill valve available at Home Depot for $10.47 and a flush valve that costs about $25. Fill Valve. Flush Valve. That's all that's in the tank. The links to the products are below.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-QuietFill-MaxPERFORMANCE-Fill-Valve-528MCM/203145423
http://www.korky.com/?p=Product&i=1161

The Korky products above are approved and perfect fits for Toto. Korky makes the Toto-branded Toto Universal Replacement Fill Valve, which costs maybe another $10, and is identical to the one I linked to above. (Some Toto toilets now also use a piston-style flush valve, which should be available for about $35.)

However, most of the flush valves never ever need to be replaced. It is a very rare instance that they do, only when something breaks off of them, usually from mishandling.

Otherwise, all one needs to change is the seal, usually in the style of a flapper. The universal Toto flapper is also available at Home Depot. It costs $14. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-3-in-Toilet-Tank-Flapper-for-TOTO-2023BP/205213624 Some other Korky flappers will fit your Toto, and they are even cheaper.

If you are able-bodied, replacing the flapper or the fill valve on virtually all Totos is a 10-minute DIY job. Replacing the flush valve is a bigger job, but I seriously doubt replacing the whole flush valve is necessary. That would be very unusual.

Plumbers can charge whatever they want, but if yours wants a lot of money for either of these replacements, you should feel free to use this forum to learn to do it yourself, or find someone else who will do it cheaper.

As to the seats, most Totos will take any standard seat, including inexpensive ones from Bemis or Mayfair, which you can buy online or at any decent hardware store or Home Depot. The Toto SS114 is nice, and it is available through lots of sales channels.

Oh, and if someone told you the fill valve was "leaking" because water was dripping off of it, they are a liar. That's normal. If you mean the toilet was "leaking" because it was running, then usually all that is necessary is to replace the $15 flapper.

Tell us what model Toto you have, and we can give you a more definitive answer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks