Where are Toto toilets made?

Users who are viewing this thread

FJK

Reaction score
In my other post, I said I just bought a new Toto Drake toilet from a Toto dealer. While researching the toilets on Toto's website, I got the impression their U.S. products where made in Atlanta, Ga. To my surprise, my Toto boxes for the toilet, tank, & seat said made in China. Other Toto products in the dealers stockroom said made in VietNam, Malaysia, etc. Is this cause for concern? Did I get a genuine Toto product?
Thanks, FJK

attachment.php

Toto Ultramax

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Toto is the largest plumbing manufacturer in the world!
They have been in business over 90 years with manufacturing facilities all over the globe. The US plant is in Morrow, Georgia and no matter where your fixture was manufactured all Toto Products have the same strict quality control standards, and components will fit and match together regardless of where they are manufactured.http://www.totousa.com/whoweare.asp

I have been supplying Toto as my toilet of choice to customers for over 5 years now and have never had a defect or, callback on one yet!:cool:

It is truly suprising that at a time when every US toilet manufacturer is eliminating production in the US and outsourcing to China and Mexico that Toto a worldwide company home based in Japan would build a plant in the US... Go Figure! Yet these companies try to tell you that Toto is a Japanese toilet! Funny thing You probably stand a better chance of getting a US built toilet from Toto... I have!

Enjoy your new toilet! It's a good one!

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Most of the toilets are not made is US but some or like one piece.
It's funny the only customers who refuse Chinese made toilets are Chinese.
Maybe they know something we don't.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I imagine they do!
But if they worked in Toto's China plant they might wonder why the quality there is unlike the rest of Chinese products.

The last 2 pc. Toto I installed had a US bowl and a Vietnamese tank. Perfect fit and match and as usually Great quality... Toto pulls it off as far as quality!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Like it or not, "Made in USA" is a rapidly disappearing logo. It has been a fact of life in electronics and optics for a very long time, but more and more products that we use are either built entirely or assembled in foreign countries. There is always a quality concern with these products. Remember when "Made in Japan" meant, "This is cheap junk"? Today that means high quality, great performer. Other Asian countries are beginning to get the idea that if they are going to succeed in a global economy, they must product high quality. Unfortunately, not all products produced in these countries meet the standard yet, but in the case of Toto, even though they produce products in many countries, they maintain the highest standards of quality.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I never used to pay any attention to "Made in the USA" until I bought two articles that changed the way I think.

The first was a Zoeller sump pump. Fantastic piece of engineering.

The second was a solid brass wall-hung mail box from a recently closed factory in Virginia. Amazing craftsmanship.

If only I could say the same about American cars...

Just because Toto are high quality now it does not mean they always will be. There is always a market for cheaper, lower-cost options. It's up to the manufacturer which bandwagon they jump on.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Just because Toto are high quality now it does not mean they always will be. There is always a market for cheaper, lower-cost options. It's up to the manufacturer which bandwagon they jump on.

Ian,
Right now, Toto has the least amount of defects in the industry. Why would you think they would change their business model, since being the best is working so well for them.

TOTO is the world’s largest plumbing products manufacturer. We offer a complete line of commercial and decorative plumbing fixtures and fittings, faucets, accessories, shower and flush valves, as well as lavatories, toilets, Air Baths and urinals. More than 1,500 TOTO engineers and their colleagues are committed to achieving the seamless integration of performance, conservation, technology, and innovation.

It is the other companies that would love a shot at the Toto Bandwagon.

http://www.toto.com/whoweare.asp

http://www.toto.com/timeline.asp

Our state-of-the-art plant in Morrow, Georgia is a testament to conservation and quality control. For example, we recycle the water we use as well as thoroughly treating it before returning it to the county. From our molding process to the final changes, our products are constructed and fine-tuned with computer precision and relentless attention to detail. Our pursuit of excellence pushes us beyond industry standards and drives us to maintain our reputation as one of the most decorated plumbing manufacturers in the world.

After nearly a century of experience, we are committed to maintaining the perfect balance of form, function and design. TOTO is Luxury in Balance

attachment.php

Toto Ultramax

Last edited:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
At our Morrow, GA plant all grey water generated during operations is stored and reused. We recycle all pallets,
aluminum and paper, and we’ve successfully implemented a closed-loop process with recycled cardboard. Our forklifts use
soybean-based hydraulic oil, and our imperfect and damaged china is crushed and recycled back into roadbed construction.

Our belief in the idea of doing more with less doesn’t just stop at the factory floor. We recently purchased 480,000
kilowatt-hours of Green Energy® from Georgia Power, and we encourage our employees to practice sustainability at home.
For example, we offer incentives for employee owned-hybrid cars, and if their town or neighborhood doesn’t recycle, they can bring their recyclables into work to be added to our plant recycling.

I really like the "and if their town or neighborhood doesn’t recycle, they can bring their recyclables into work to be added to our plant recycling" part of it.

This was taken from the Totology information book which speaks of all the "green" initiatives.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score

Just as long as they don't jump on the same wagon Am. Std. is riding on I'll use their product. I like to use products that I really don't have to wonder if I have junk in the box.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your question really should be, "How are Toto Toilets Made" and not "Where". That's the key to the whole thing.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Your question really should be, "How are Toto Toilets Made" and not "Where". That's the key to the whole thing.

That is the real question.
Their process is so different, that when I asked Gunnar Baldwin of TotoUSA if I could bring my camcorder into the factory in Georgia, he declined.
No cameras are allowed in the factory. What they have done with manufacturing is their own invention, and they do it well.

abaton6

Reaction score
Wrong

Your question really should be, "How are Toto Toilets Made" and not "Where". That's the key to the whole thing..

MY question is still WHERE it's made. I am a patriot, and want to employ AMERICAN workers. End of story.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
TOTO makes plenty of toilets in Georgia.
You would be looking at the Ultramax, Vespin, Drake II, Soiree, Guinevere, to name a few.

It's the only brand I've been selling where I can find a toilet still made in America on a regular basis.
The three TOTO toilets in my home are made in America.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Supply and demand might dictate they could either export or import things...but, they do have a big factory in Georgia that usually can supply the US, but possibly not always.

Reaction score
MY question is still WHERE it's made. I am a patriot, and want to employ AMERICAN workers. End of story.

I'm a patriot too, but will not support U.S. companies making crappy products just because they are made in the U.S. I expect U.S. products to be superior, not inferior and I'm willing to pay more for a superior product.

Fortunately, at least half of the Toto toilet assembly is made in the U.S. The other half of two piece toilets I've installed came from Vietnam (where capitalism has beaten communism from within...ironic.)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If someone wants a toilet made in the USA, then I sell them a TOTO Ultramax, or Drake II. I get asked sometimes why the Drake II is a bit more then the original Drake. It has a taller bowl, comes with CEFIONTECT and has double cyclone rinse. Also, the boxes say "Made in the USA". They work great too. Made in the USA.

red92s

Reaction score
The Morrow, GA facility makes a sizable chunk of the toilets sold in North America but has capacity constraints that prevent it from producing everything. TOTO has a long list of products that qualify for the "Buy American Act", although not all may qualify to have the "Made in the USA" tag on the packaging. In addition to toilets, they have recently started assembling faucets in GA as well.

http://www.totousa.com/Portals/0/BrochureDownloads/BAA-0410.pdf

Alto

Reaction score
Believe it or not over 70% of Mansfield products are made in Ohio including everything from their pressure assist toilets to their Alto 1.6 and 1.28gpf as well as their 1000 gram flushing Summit toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks