Plumbers - Valve Choice for replacement valves.

Users who are viewing this thread

motonutz123

Reaction score
Hi,

I am going to replace some 30 yo shower faucets with kits from the same company. I figure that there will be no compatibility problems that way. I have a choice of using compression valves like on the original or using 1/4 turn valves using ceramic disc valves. I'm leaning towards the 1/4 turn valves using ceramic disc valves but don't have an exploded view to look at to see the mechanics of the design. What do you think is the best design and why?

Thanks for your impute.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
With just the options you have given to pick from I would upgrade away from the old compression style and use the 1/4 turn ceramic ones.

Have you considered a complete upgrade to a new pressure balanced unit? I would!:cool:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is no guarantee, even staying with the same company, that new handles, etc. will fit on old valves.

I'd take the time to bite the bullet and update the valve to one meeting current code. Depending on the extent of the remodeling, you may be required to, and even if not, when it comes time to sell, it may become a factor.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
conversion

You must have Price Pfister valves. If so, do go with the ceramic stems, but BE ABSOLUTELY SURE to remove the seats from the valve body and throw them away, (if you have the Crown Jewel series, however don't throw them away because you might need them).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks