New A/C installed...wet slab..normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

A12548

Reaction score
I just had a 4 ton Goodman installed and its working great but the outside unit is on a new slab and it always has a puddle of water slowly seeping from under the unit and off the slab. The drain pipe is working ok..pumping water out. I looked inside and notice a brass colored pipe had lots of condensation on it, could that be the source and arent they usually insulated? or is this just normal. Im in Florida. thanks.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
That's the return line from the airhandler. It's normally below the dewpoint, and will sweat in high relative-humidity conditions. There's generally no reason to insulate them when they're outdoors, especially on a ground-level slab.

Marc46

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
It is likely coming from the suction tubing which is copper "inside" of the condensing unit.
It is buiding up as it drips into the unit base, and then running out through the "weep holes" that let water out when it rains.

I would not be concerned as long as the entire compressor is not "sweating" water. That would indicate an improper refrigerant charge, or possibly low air flow across the evaporator coil, due to a dirty air filter, or a partially plugged coil.

BTW, I have run my own HVAC business for 17 years in Florida.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks