water heater question

Users who are viewing this thread

Ally68

Reaction score
I have a softner before my water heater. And I have had mixed opions about the need to drain sediment out of my water heater. Some say yes other plumbers have said it is not worth the trouble as it will not last much longer than 10 years with softned water. Since there is not much sediment anyway.
I have had to replace about every 10 years due to tank leaks anyway and it is no big deal just wondering if I should bother draining it at all if it will make no difference?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The drain valve on the water heater only flushes the material in its area, so using it to "drain" the heater does not accomplish much since the material is distributed all over the bottom. Even a high volume flush may not remove material remote from the drain opening, and any attempt to remove all the material is very labor intensive. Few people really flush the heaters on a regular basis. Now, the T&P valve should be tested at least once a year and preferably more often, since its operation is vital to the safe performance of the water heater in an unusual situation.

Ally68

Reaction score
So in your professional opion considering I have a softner so i should in theory have very little sediment anyway I am really not helping all that much?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks