(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: water heater question

Default water heater question

I have a softner before my water heater. And I have had mixed opions about the need to drain sediment out of my water heater. Some say yes other plumbers have said it is not worth the trouble as it will not last much longer than 10 years with softned water. Since there is not much sediment anyway.
    I have had to replace about every 10 years due to tank leaks anyway and it is no big deal just wondering if I should bother draining it at all if it will make no difference?

No one? Also how often should you check the t&p valve once per year?

Default drain

The drain valve on the water heater only flushes the material in its area, so using it to "drain" the heater does not accomplish much since the material is distributed all over the bottom. Even a high volume flush may not remove material remote from the drain opening, and any attempt to remove all the material is very labor intensive. Few people really flush the heaters on a regular basis. Now, the T&P valve should be tested at least once a year and preferably more often, since its operation is vital to the safe performance of the water heater in an unusual situation.

So in your professional opion considering I have a softner so i should in theory have very little sediment anyway I am really not helping all that much?