Be ready for the next kitchen remodel craze!

Users who are viewing this thread

GregO

Reaction score
great

Redwood,

Don't forget about all those granite tiles in the foyers, bathrooms, and kitchens too!

Greg

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
We've got company coming for a week or so in August. Think I'll post a few radioactive signs around on the counter top. Should help keep the visit timely. :D

Mort

Reaction score
Maybe it'll help as a chemo-therapy for the brain tumors caused by cell phones.

Mort

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No Kidding! I believe the article I linked basically said the same thing...:cool:

Indeed, health physicists and radiation experts agree that most granite countertops emit radiation and radon at extremely low levels. They say these emissions are insignificant compared with so-called background radiation that is constantly raining down from outer space or seeping up from the earth’s crust, not to mention emanating from manmade sources like X-rays, luminous watches and smoke detectors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It's destined to be the next Inbox clogging E-mail....
Glowing Granite Countertops!:eek:
Verified as sort of true by Snopes...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm sure you could probably find some granite rocks that were 'hotter' than others. Granites with mineable amounts of Uranium are found in many locations both in the USA, Canada, and elsewhere around the world. NH, my current home state, is known as the Granite state, and many areas DO have natural radon problems. A lot of granite from this area is used to build buildings, curbs, steps, etc. Living above about 4,000 feet gets you zapped by much more ionizing radiation than you'd likely get from any decorative stone you may have in your house. In fact, flying cross-country is pretty high in irradiation - easily the equivalent to a chest x-ray.

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When John heard the news, he sat there with a Stony face. Like a statue in a park, surrounded by water smoothed rock he sat.
He was wondering what to do with his hot counters. His weight crushing, granite courter tops. He decided to take a spoon and start banging the inside of his under mount stainless sink.
Thud, Thud, Thud.
Even that didn't awaken the sense of what had happened in his well ordered life.
He flicked the garbage disposer on and off,
Click, Wrrrrrrrrr
Click
Click Wrrrrrrrrr
Click
Hot Damn!
Got to get some coffee and think this thing over.
What would Redwood do?
Should I paint over the granite with Latex paint?
Or is this thing,
Too hot!
Darn!
Yaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I got it!

Redwood makes note to self to bring Ex-Mother In Law some good used granite countertops he got paid to remove from somebodys house...:cool:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks