critique my dwv model

Users who are viewing this thread

Tyler T

waiter, remodeler
Reaction score
hey guys, i was hoping you could review my diagram before i tackle this project. the home is in florida so the code is ipc. this is an old house with crawl space. i removed all the old cast iron and will be replacing with abs. also this will be a connected to the new city sewer which they conveniently placed almost directly in front of a 100 year old oak tree! i know its a lot to look at, but in actuality, its a tiny 850 sq.ft house. this is for a rough in, traps will be added to the lav's and kitchen sink after. any thing i should change or do differently? greatly appreciated.
red=3in
green=2in
yellow=1.5in

Attachments

• hermey2 wc plus vent .jpg
    hermey2 wc plus vent .jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 701
  • hermey2 angle 2.jpg
    hermey2 angle 2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 818
  • hermey2 standpipe.jpg
    hermey2 standpipe.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 676
  • hermey2 sink tub vent.jpg
    hermey2 sink tub vent.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 684
  • hermey2 tub trap vent close up.jpg
    hermey2 tub trap vent close up.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 664

Tyler T

waiter, remodeler
Reaction score
thanks...i'll work on some labels next, heres a little more

Attachments

• hermey2 wc wet vent lav.jpg
    hermey2 wc wet vent lav.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 707
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 679
Last edited:

Tyler T

waiter, remodeler
Reaction score

Attachments

• hermey2 pipes only labeled big font 2.jpg
    hermey2 pipes only labeled big font 2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 856
  • hermey2 pipes only labeled new font2.jpg
    hermey2 pipes only labeled new font2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 683
  • hermey fixtures only~.jpg
    hermey fixtures only~.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 679
  • hermey fixture position2.jpg
    hermey fixture position2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 679
Last edited:

Tyler T

waiter, remodeler
Reaction score
ok. couple of things you can do for the models with sketchup. one, you can download my model from sketchup from the link i posted and then you can simply copy and paste from my model to yours as you are working on it. or you can browse the 3d warehouse and load them in to your model. i used a few components from the aligre corporation set of models in the 3d warehouse, but most i copied and pasted from another model which i saw a link to on this forum... from what ive learned, there used to be a link on the charlotte pipe web site for auto cad pipe components which you could then download from the site but that link doesnt work anymore. you can order a copy of their pipe components on a cd however for free. oh and you can also go here http://www.thomasnet.com/cadlibrary....navsec=results and download these fittings from the site on to your computer in .dxf format and then import them into your sketchup model. i think a combination of these methods will get you alot of components you'll need. but there isnt a one stop shop for everything that i know of. hope this helps lemme know if you have any other q's.

Last edited:

GregO

Reaction score
air behind water

Tyler,

Looks to me like your leftmost water closet vent should be on the side of your cleanout (to the left), not the right. Think air behind water when venting.

Greg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dwv

The shower and right hand toilet vents do absolutely nothing, and definitely do not vent the shower or toilet. Putting a vent NEAR a trap is about as effective as putting your milk on a table NEAR the refrigerator and wondering why it spoils.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks for finally posting with the labels...

I agree with HJ you are missing the concept when it comes to venting...
The purpose of the vent is to protect the trap seal. The slug of water going by can induce positive and negative pressures which can remove water from the trap. The vent has to negate these pressures.

Tyler T

waiter, remodeler
Reaction score
hmm

gentlemen, thank you for the insight. couple of specific questions:
1) if the toilet by the cleanout is not vented in that configuration, how should it be configured? im stumped.
2) is the wet vent configuration on the other toilet correct?

i understand about the tub vent and i will re-work that. thank you for your time.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The toilet by the cleanout: Take the pipe labeled toilet vent and attach it between the toilet and the wye below it.

The other toitet appears to have been accidently wet vented by the lav... It works as longas you hook it up correctly.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I think I'm seeing a couple of flat vents there also which is a no no. The vent on the toilet is running flat and it does not need to be there. There is no distance limitation on wet vent system for the toilet.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I took a second look at it and it appears ok. Nice graphics but somewhat confusing to look at. The fitting angles are a bit hard to decypher. give me an old fashoned isometric any day. Not too sure what the point of the whole excercize is either. That much piping is way beyond the scope of a homeowner to take on. Also, I'd be a little opposed to giving something like that the thumbs up or down because it could be misconstrued or misleading to the homeowner. This is the kind of project that requires a licensed plumber and a valid permit.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
As always we okay the appearance of a drawing and the actual on site work determines its being okay or not. yes inspections and permits is a must.

Tyler T

waiter, remodeler
Reaction score
hey guys, thanks again for some feedback. i knew the graphics would be a bit much after i posted it all. i really wanted to hire a pro for getting all this done, but unfortunately nobody cared to give me an honest price. ive been in the remodel biz for a while so i know what this work entails and i couldnt justify paying close to 10k for a job which a couple guys will knock out in 3 days and cost less than 2k for material and permits. so i pulled the permit and am working with the inspector now. this site is great and theres a few guys on here who pull a lot of weight for the rest of us. so thanks.
tyler

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I Know that when I need by-pass surgery the price seemed way out of line so I had my brother in law do it for me. Worked out ok I think.

Tyler T

waiter, remodeler
Reaction score
haha i knew thatd get some flak. im not diminishing the trade whatsoever, but if ya aint got the money, and you can do it yourself and have some fun...then why not? some diy'ers are half assed...some are perfectionists...never assume the capabilities of others. :cool: but your right, id never have my brother give me surgery. good point, but this is a little different than that.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Diy

ONe of the problems is "who said you were capable of doing it yourself"? If it is a self evaluation, then it comes under the same classification as, "Never proof read your own reports".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks