(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: critique my dwv model

Default critique my dwv model

hey guys, i was hoping you could review my diagram before i tackle this project. the home is in florida so the code is ipc. this is an old house with crawl space. i removed all the old cast iron and will be replacing with abs. also this will be a connected to the new city sewer which they conveniently placed almost directly in front of a 100 year old oak tree! i know its a lot to look at, but in actuality, its a tiny 850 sq.ft house. this is for a rough in, traps will be added to the lav's and kitchen sink after. any thing i should change or do differently? greatly appreciated.
    red=3in
    green=2in
    yellow=1.5in
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Hmmm pretty drawing but I'm lost... How about some labels?

thanks...i'll work on some labels next, heres a little more
    Last edited by Tyler T; 07-24-2008 at 05:27 PM.

labels. and a link if youd like to dl it in sketchup. http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...40bd7e82ae24eb bottom 2 pictures show fixture positions in relation to pipes. thanks!
    Last edited by Tyler T; 07-24-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Question

I'm in a similar situation (needing to redesign DWV system) and have downloaded Google Sketchup.

Where did you find the models for the ABS fittings?

Thanks!
    .../j

ok. couple of things you can do for the models with sketchup. one, you can download my model from sketchup from the link i posted and then you can simply copy and paste from my model to yours as you are working on it. or you can browse the 3d warehouse and load them in to your model. i used a few components from the aligre corporation set of models in the 3d warehouse, but most i copied and pasted from another model which i saw a link to on this forum... from what ive learned, there used to be a link on the charlotte pipe web site for auto cad pipe components which you could then download from the site but that link doesnt work anymore. you can order a copy of their pipe components on a cd however for free. oh and you can also go here http://www.thomasnet.com/cadlibrary....navsec=results and download these fittings from the site on to your computer in .dxf format and then import them into your sketchup model. i think a combination of these methods will get you alot of components you'll need. but there isnt a one stop shop for everything that i know of. hope this helps lemme know if you have any other q's.
    Last edited by Tyler T; 07-30-2008 at 02:08 AM.

Default air behind water

Tyler,

Looks to me like your leftmost water closet vent should be on the side of your cleanout (to the left), not the right. Think air behind water when venting.

Greg

Default dwv

The shower and right hand toilet vents do absolutely nothing, and definitely do not vent the shower or toilet. Putting a vent NEAR a trap is about as effective as putting your milk on a table NEAR the refrigerator and wondering why it spoils.

Thanks for finally posting with the labels...

I agree with HJ you are missing the concept when it comes to venting...
    The purpose of the vent is to protect the trap seal. The slug of water going by can induce positive and negative pressures which can remove water from the trap. The vent has to negate these pressures.

Default hmm

gentlemen, thank you for the insight. couple of specific questions:
    1) if the toilet by the cleanout is not vented in that configuration, how should it be configured? im stumped.
    2) is the wet vent configuration on the other toilet correct?

i understand about the tub vent and i will re-work that. thank you for your time.

The toilet by the cleanout: Take the pipe labeled toilet vent and attach it between the toilet and the wye below it.

The other toitet appears to have been accidently wet vented by the lav... It works as longas you hook it up correctly.

The toilet by the cleanout: Take the pipe labeled toilet vent and attach it between the toilet and the wye below it.
    what type of fitting would this call for?

I think I'm seeing a couple of flat vents there also which is a no no. The vent on the toilet is running flat and it does not need to be there. There is no distance limitation on wet vent system for the toilet.

NH Master, Are you referring to the Laundry Standpipe "Wet Venting" the toilet?

I took a second look at it and it appears ok. Nice graphics but somewhat confusing to look at. The fitting angles are a bit hard to decypher. give me an old fashoned isometric any day. Not too sure what the point of the whole excercize is either. That much piping is way beyond the scope of a homeowner to take on. Also, I'd be a little opposed to giving something like that the thumbs up or down because it could be misconstrued or misleading to the homeowner. This is the kind of project that requires a licensed plumber and a valid permit.