Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

msz

Reaction score
I need to change a vent in my kit. the left drawing is how it is now and the right drawing is how i'd like to change it....any issues?? are there any guidelines w/ respect to using 90 degree and 45 degree angles w/ a vent?

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
    pipe.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 218

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
An inspector would like to see it the old way.
I have never plumbed one like the drawing on the right.
I have changed direction on the vertical above the santee.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Your code will specify a distance above the flood rim of the sink that you have to be at before a vent can go horizontal. Horizontal vent runs also need to be pitched at 1/4" per foot to the drain.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
The reason the code is written that way is that water will tend to run into the horizontal run at the same elevation as the drain. This will reduce the vent cross section as well as cause a build up of gunk that can't be cleaned.

msz

Reaction score
Thanks...so if I can go up 3 or 4 inches + above where the drain connects and then run a 45 degree to the right I should be OK?>

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It appears you are trying to go around a new window. IF a 45 does not clear the opening, use two 60 degree elbows (1/6 bends). They will lower the angle pipe and still satisfy the code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks