Which panasonic bathroom fan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Fidoprincess

Reaction score
Bathroom 6 X 9 and being totally redone-no fan now and no one opens the window. I saw one model with a sensor, liked the idea but will the cat set it off? This is the one I was thinking about

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-...ert-Fans.list.75112_11002_7000000000000005702

Or should I just go with the cheapest one? The bathroom has a large walk-in shower 3.5 x 5.5 so do I put it above the shower, in the shower or outside above the toilet?

I only have 2 more openings on my electric panel and want to put a heated mat in under the tile floor so I am not sure I can have both, can I do it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I saw one model with a sensor, liked the idea but will the cat set it off?

Probably not, and the sensitivity might even be adjustable. Personally, however, I prefer my touch-button switch with a programmable timer so the fan does not run just because somebody stepped in only to wash his or her hands for dinner.

The bathroom has a large walk-in shower 3.5 x 5.5 so do I put it above the shower, in the shower or outside above the toilet?

I have mine between the two, and I believe directly above the shower would be a problematic location. Then, I also have a dehumidistat high on the wall just outside the shower to keep the fan running even after the timer drops out if the humidity is still high:
http://thermostats.idtenergystore.com/product.php?p=fantech_fh20&product=110198

I only have 2 more openings on my electric panel and want to put a heated mat in under the tile floor so I am not sure I can have both, can I do it?

A mat for that size floor might only draw around 5 amps, so I believe you should be able to run the entire bathroom with one circuit. I have two circuits only because I have a fan with a heater that draws more than the floor.

Last edited:

Rburt5

Reaction score
Don't go with the cheapest one. That is what I did and I regret it. It is really loud. Much louder than it sounded in the store. At least go with a mid-level fan.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Figure the volume of the room LxWxH in feet, then look at the cu ft/hour rating of the fan. You want to be able turn over the air multiple times (say 8x - double check that value but I think it's close) in an hour. that will show you what size you need.

Fidoprincess

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your replies! leejosepho, What a good point! I would not want the fan running everytime someone went in either. I'll put it outside the shower too. I like the timer idea too. rburt5, I was warned not to get the cheapest one but honestly, these are UGLY compared to some of the $80 fancy light ones at HD. They are really attractive but I am trying to be smart about things.

So now it is between these two:
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelComparisonResults?storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&catGroupId=75112&surfCategory=Ceiling%20Insert%20Fans&cacheProgram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702&items=249664|62438|

11vh2 is $190 and 11vh1 is $$220 (Best prices I've found anyway)

Which should I get?

I was thinking if I get the fan with the heater now, I would skip getting the floor heat and save $350. I am in CA and it rarely goes below 55 at night. Do you think I will regret skipping the floor heat? On a budget you know and every little thing I can cross off helps.

Thanks in advance!
Sally

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
.....directly above the shower would be a problematic location. ......
With the chosen models, yes. The spec sheet on the first states so.

I have two panasonic through the wall units mounted above the wall in showers that are UL listed for that location when they are on a GFCI circuit. They are very quiet and well worth the price.

Fidoprincess

Reaction score
I think I've found the answer to which model? From another website:This product(11vhl1) has been discontinued. Available in Limited Quantities. Replaced by FV-11VHL2

I guess I will go with the 11vhl2 and save a few $$s, Sound right? Going to order this today!

Fidoprincess

Reaction score
Good luck with ordering! I used the mfg coupon code and got 25% off and it was $160! I think that is a good price and I'm happy!! Thanks so much for all of your help-now on to the plumbing-ugh!

Fidoprincess

Reaction score
Aonther question, please? (posted this earlier but don't see it..hope it's not a double)

I was going to get the (4 gang) electrical box and a switch for the fan-found a nice compact rocker switch with 2 up and 2 down, very nice and compact. I was thinking each function would have it's own switch-fan, heat, light and nightlight.

Then I realized that I still have a switch at the door for the vanity light. What is the "normal" way to wire this stuff. The 5 switch looks a bit much? Plus they didn't have the nice rocker ones, just the toggle ones. Put a single next to the quad? Move one or the other to a different location not next to the door?

The vanity light switch (main light) is right over the vanity/sink as you walk in the door. One the other side of the vanity at the same height is a receptacle and around the corner of that is another switch for the shower light at the shower door. Where should I put the new one?

Thanks for your help with what is probably a silly question but I just can't picture and think of how it is "supposed" to be done!

Fidoprincess

Reaction score
Thanks leejoespho, For some odd reason I thought all 4 of the panasonic unit's switches had to be together in the same box! Are you sure they can be split up?

If I can split them up, I will put the heat one next to the shower light switch-that makes the most sense right? Then I would have the fan, light, nightlight and vanity light at the entry door and the heat and shower light about 4 feet away at the door to the shower. That will look nicer and be more practical too. Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The wiring may be more complicated to split things up, but it is definately possible.

George R

Reaction score
You could also simply convert your old single box (inside the door), to a double box and wire it such that both lights (vanity and new light) come on with the single light switch on your new quad setup. In my opinion this would give a much neater and more professional look.

If you do it this way, pay attention to "box fill" requirements.

Last edited:

Fidoprincess

Reaction score
George, that is a good idea but I want each light separate simply because my vanity light is soooo beautiful. I went last night to get all the switches and oh boy, it was tough.

I finally picked the 4 light switch and then the 2 light one thinking I would split the heater off. I had to get a metal box instead of the plastic one because they were out. Is that okay? Does it matter which one?

Then when I got home and opened up the fan, it was the wrong darn one-grrr. I knew that price was too good to be true even though I had the right fan #. The one they sent doesn't have the heater so I have to send it back and now mysteriously they don't have the heater one to exchange for the right one so I will have to find it locally. No more ordering off the net for me but I am hoping my sink and light will be okay when they come.

I also needed a new light can for inside of my shower and the "brightest" I could find would only take a 75 watt bulb, is this a new thing? I had to pick the remodel/insulation contact and that was the only one. Only one new construction light was 150, the rest were all 75 or even less?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks