Toilet supply line make-over

Users who are viewing this thread

roadk

Reaction score
I have a toilet that was installed a few years ago-
The copper supply line comes out of the wall about 6 inches, then a valve to a braided line to the toilet.
Question is, how to make this look better?

I'd really like to add a chrome 'tube' or 'cover' over the existing copper pipe if there's such a thing, and get a flange on the wall to cover the hole in the drywall.

Is there such a product that i could slip over the existing copper (with a flange) and then reattach the valve?

If so, what is it called so I could search online.

Thanks for the help.
-Thomas

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may be able to find a sleeve, but Watts makes a solder on valve that has a long sleeve on it...the 1/2" copper slides inside and you solder it on. I have one in my bathroom. Make sure to install the bell cover before you solder it on - the plastic ones that fit over tend to look funky quickly.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eastman...ve-with-5-in-Extension-Tube-04182LF/205807843

index.php
index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

roadk

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
How long is the sleeve on the watts valve?
I need about 6 inches ....
Thanks again.

P.S. are you allowed to suggest a place to look for it online via this forum?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
It was www.brasscraft.com, not watts. If you put this number into google, you'll get the one I think you need (it's the upc). It's 5", but with the bell cover, you could probably get the 6" you need. 026613025391

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You want a 1/4 turn angle stop with the 5" extension and bell escutchion.
Brass Craft Part # KTCS40B C

roadk

Reaction score
But I've never sweated chrome to copper before...
Anything I should know?
Should I just rough up the chrome a bit, or remove all of it from the end?
Thanks.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The inside is not plated...just clean as you would a normal fitting, flux, then solder.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
so i found this:
http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/u742403?ref=gbase
and it would work perfectly( and inexpensively)

but i've never sweated chrome to copper before...
anything i should know?
should i just rough up the chrome a bit, or remove all of it from the end?
thanks.

That valve that you are showing is a compression valve. It will sit unused for years and the first time you turn it the valve will start leaking. Get the one that I gave you the P/N for above. It is a 1/4 turn valve that will work well for years and years.

I have never sweated chrome either because you can't! The chrome is a sleeve that goes over the copper pipe and is sweated on. You would heat it with a torch to remove it then sweat a new one on. If you have never sweat a pipe before you may wan't a plumber to do this job for you. The work is very close to a hole in the wall and I'd hate to hear that the fire department had to help you with this job.

roadk

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys.
I've sweated all my new bathroom copper. just didn't know what to do about the existing fitting in the other bathroom.
It will be close to the wall- i agree, a real fire hazard. I'll be certain to use my flame shield and have an extinguisher on hand ;)
Thanks again for all the help/suggestions.
-Thomas

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks