(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Service Entrance Conduit Body Size

DIY Junior Member

Default Service Entrance Conduit Body Size

Can Anyone Suggest What Size Conduit & Conduit Bodies Would Be Used For 200 Amp Overhead Service Between The Meter & The Main Panel. The Service Would Be Using 2/0 Thhn/thwn Cable. My Utility Requires A 2 1/2 Inch Pipe For A Freestanding Service Mast, However 2 1/2 Inch Pvc Conduit Seems Too Small Acording The The 2005 Nec. Any Suggestions Or Thoughts Would Be Appreciated.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Default Fwiw

Mine used to be overhead, and the metallic conduit to the weatherhead was 2 1/4" od, Now it's underground, and uses 2 1/2" NMC.

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TODSTUGS View Post
    My Utility Requires A 2 1/2 Inch Pipe For A Freestanding Service Mast, However 2 1/2 Inch Pvc Conduit Seems Too Small Acording The The 2005 Nec.
    First off, your POCO requires 2.5" rigid for strength reasons, not fill reasons.

I'm not sure what 2005 NEC you are referring to, but the one I have states FIVE 2/0 THHN in a 2" Sch80 PVC.

2" is typical for a 200A service.

Don't forget, in NYS we do NOT use the NEC for one and two family dwellings. We use the NY Resi Code.

Default pipe

What relevance does the requirement for 2 1/2" PVC have to do with your utility mast? The mast MUST be metallic conduit, and you use whatever size the utility tells you to.