Leak - bad seal under sink

Users who are viewing this thread

tallensprings

Reaction score
I just installed two new vanity sinks in our master bath. The drain opening in the sinks look like they are a little uneven. When I tried to install the drains, the rubber gasket will not form a good seal with the sink. I bought a couple of replacement gaskets hoping they were a bit larger and would fix the problem. They did not. Any suggestions to make a tight seal?

Tim in Colorado Springs

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
If they are really off, you could return them...

Other options
1. use more gaskets at the same time
2. Grind as needed
3. two part Epoxy glue between the gasket and the sink. then lightly tighten until glue sets (24 hours) then tighten

I would not suggest caulk since it is not water-tight unless completely cured (several weeks?)

Edit: I am assuming you mean the underside since small leaks on the top side would not be a problem.

tallensprings

Reaction score
Leaky seal

Thanks for quick response Bill!

The leak is indeed under the sink. It looks like the drain opening is slightly mishapen causing one side of the ruber gasket to jam up into the opening. I could not find a large enough gasket or nut to get around this. Unfortunately, the sinks are already adhered to the counter top.

I will try to find a good epoxy and let you know what happens.

Tim

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hold on with the glue for a minute!:eek:

Many times the actual leak is water coming down the threads under the rubber mack washer.

Use Hercules Sta-Put Ultra Plumbers Putty (it is non-staining for all materials) under the pop -up flange, and apply teflon paste stread sealant such as Rectorseal on the threads under the rubber washer...

This will probably cure your leak!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks