Best buy 10" rough in toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

jkj

Reaction score
Hey guys what is the best buy on a 10" rough in toilet. Something you could order at lowes. Like Eljer, American standard, or Kohler.

I have only been able to find the American Standard Cadet 3 as a high performance 10" in the lowes system. Is it worth it to get a high performance over the standard Eljer with the 2" trap? <100 bucks for that. About 215 for a Cadet 3 with standard height and round bowl.

I appreciate any input.

TOTO Drake CST744EF.10 comfort height 10" rough toilet that will install at 9-1/4"
TOTO manufactures many of their products in America

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You are putting a lot of limitations on finding a good toilet.
First the 10 rough in and then we can only pick Lowes as a vendor...

Mant toilets are installed and used for a period of 20-30 years...
Even a price $200 higher translates to pennies a day...

What is it worth to have a toilet that works flawlessly.
In my home I consider it priceless!

jkj

Reaction score
So any opinion? I may be flexible on the just lowes thing. What is your opinion on the 10" Cadet 3?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The 3 in its name says a lot...
This is Am. Std.'s 3rd attempt at getting the Cadet to be a good toilet.
They are getting closer every time.
But the root of their problem is their product is all Hecho en Mexico, Hecho en Guatamala etc.
Cheap Labor and a lack of QC makes for a lot of defective product!

Several years ago after experiencing a costly run of 50% defective product I stopped purchasing and supplying that brand to my customers. I cannot afford to do half my jobs twice! When a toilet that I supply & install malfunctions I have to return and fix it for free for 1 full year. I only install Am. Std. now when it is customer supplied. The only guarantee is that I installed it correctly. If it is defective the customer pays twice! I warn them ahead of time!

See this thread as you will read quality is hit and miss and many require constant tinkering to keep them working... Nothing I see to make me change my mind.https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11570

I install Toto toilets when I provide a toilet and have been doing so for 5 years. I have a 0% callback rate on them! That is profitable plumbing!

I would encourage you to consider Toto Toilets!
http://www.totousa.com

I would also urge you to look at Terry's consumer report on low flow toilets.
https://terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

Good luck on your quest and I hope you find happyness with your new throne!

Mort

Reaction score
I checked my local Lowes a few months ago and they had access to Toto toilets listed on their computer systems for special order. The salesman was even surprised. Their pricing, however, was pretty close to MSRP....ie pretty steep.

Mort

jkj

Reaction score
Anybody got a good pricematch site for TOTO that I can use for lowes?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would suggest using the Toto Dealer locator to find a Toto Dealer near you...
If you go to a place that doesn't sell them all you will find is a salesman that tells you that they don't have Toto but they have Brand X that is just as good as a Toto...
Funny thing is right there Toto became a benchmark!:eek:
If you went into an Am. Std. dealer they would be flat out lying!
About 50% of their product is defective... Hecho en Mexico or, Guatamala.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Go to a Toto Dealer that is familiar with their product and not a smockman at Lowes that is surprised they can order it!

The Toto dealer will be able to show you the product and make sure that you have all the associated parts that you will need for installation. Chances are they won't be the cheap junk that smockman pushes either.

jkj

Reaction score
Redwood please understand that I'm in a rural area and will not be able to goto a Toto dealer. There is not one within a couple 100 miles of me. I specified in my first post that it would have to be at lowes.

So to answer the question anywhere good to get lowes to pricematch?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't think that Lowe's will price match the Internet.
There are plumbing, hardware, lumber, and carpet supply companies in every large town.
The two big box stores are not the answer for everything.
I buy my lumber from a local supplier, Dunn Lumber. They have the best lumber around, and they help load you up.
I buy my flooring and tile from Prosource.
The point being, there are plenty of places that specialize in quality products, that the home contractors use.
When I go to dinner on a Friday night, have some wine and listen to Jazz, it's not going to be at Denny's.

cst744ef-10.jpg

TOTO CST744EF.10

Last edited:

spetrucco

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
10" toilet

First let me state that I am a diy'er not a plumber.
I needed a 10" toilet just like you.
For the price that HD / Lowes quoted me for a 10' cadet I went to a local plumbing supply and orderd a 10" gerber Avalanche. Installed it 2 days ago with no problem.

Simply put:
Toto > Gerber > Cadet
$$ > $ = $

-Shawn

jkj

Reaction score
No one around here is a vendor for Toto according to totos website. I didn't realize that gerber was better than Cadet. My lowes has always been good about pricematching the net.

I did however find someone that sold Gerber. They don't have anything in 10", though they can order it.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I didn't know that either! The last Gerber salesman I talked to told me it, "Was as good as a Toto..."

Funny thing about that statement...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Although Terry does not recommend shipping toilets, it is done and there are dealers that do. You can Google to find them. It is true that there are not Toto dealers in many less populated areas, but that does not mean you can't get a Toto. However, when you say you want a good deal, that can be taken two ways. A good deal meaning cheap or a good deal on a quality product. You will not get a quality product from any Big Box Store. Many, if not all, of their toilets are seconds from the manufactures. That's why they can sell cheap. As others have pointed out, Toto has become the benchmark for quality toilets. It's true they are more expensive than the stuff sold by Box Stores and you may have to extend yourself to get one, but if you do what is necessary to get one, you will have a quality product that will serve for many years to come. On the other hand, if you just want cheap, there are plenty of them anywhere you look. If you go that route, be sure to invest in a good plunger, you'll probably need it.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
First let me state that I am a diy'er not a plumber.
I needed a 10" toilet just like you.
For the price that HD / Lowes quoted me for a 10' cadet I went to a local plumbing supply and orderd a 10" gerber Avalanche. Installed it 2 days ago with no problem.

Simply put:
Toto > Gerber > Cadet
$$ > $ = $

-Shawn

Hi Shawn, There is several threads here on the Gerber Avalanche that there really isn't much info on just a few 1 hit dump and run postings...
here is one:
https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18147
Why don't you bookmark it and post back with any information on your installation.... Give us any info good bad or otherwise even if you just come back and say everything is fine so far! it's more than we have now! Post back with any maint. done and everything!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks